5/20_Jackson

Defensive back Rashad Jackson practices with the New Mexico football team at the Lobo practice field Monday afternoon. The program announced that the twins, Rashad and Vershad Jackson, have rejoined the team.

Jackson twins back on football team

@ThomasRomeroS

Rashad and Vershad Jackson’s leave from the New Mexico football team didn’t last long.

On Monday the program announced that the twins have rejoined the team.

“We are grateful to have this second opportunity and are excited to be back with our teammates,” Rashad and Vershad said in a joint statement Monday.

The announcement comes less than two weeks after head coach Bob Davie announced that the Jacksons were no longer part of the team.

On Aug. 7, Vershad Jackson was suspended from the team after refusing to re-enter practice, apparently in support of Rashad.

Earlier in the practice, Davie had removed Rashad from the field for not playing up to Davie’s standards.

Rashad said the incident at practice was an “overreaction.”
“It’s something that should’ve never occurred. It was a spur of the moment and a lack of character,” he said Monday after practice. “We’re going to bounce back and get better.”

Both the decision to leave the team and subsequently come back to the program was a “mutual” decision by the Jacksons and Davie, Rashad said.

Davie said it was the right decision to bring the sophomore cornerbacks back but that the decision was his alone.

“They start at the bottom. They’re going to have to work their way up the depth chart … that’s the only criteria there is,” he said.
Both twins said it was hard not being able to practice with the team the past week and a half.

“It was pretty tough. We were just working out at home, and not being with our teammates was tough,” Rashad said.

Vershad said the team is more than happy to see the twins return.
“All the guys are loving, welcoming with open arms. They want to see us back on the field,” he said.

The Jacksons are among several players who have left UNM only to return. Other players include: junior running back Crusoe Gongbay, sophomore wideout Donnie Duncan and sophomore offensive lineman Johnny Vizcaino.

“I’ve had good success with guys who have been given second opportunities,” Davie said.