Same-sex marriages proceed

culture@dailylobo.com
@Jyllian_R

The hall just outside the Bernalillo County Clerk’s marriage license office yesterday was filled with more than 100 couples waiting excitedly for the doors to open at 8 a.m.

Patricia Catlett, 61, and Karen Schmiege, 69, had been waiting in the low-lit hallway since 7 a.m. Their patience paid off: the two were the first to receive their marriage license as they smiled and waived a small pride flag. By 9 a.m., Catlett and Schmiege were officially married.

“This is incredible. We’re married,” said Catlett.

Catlett and Schmiege met 24 years ago at a church in Manhattan.

Schmiege said she knew the moment she saw Catlett that they would spend the rest of their lives together.

“I opened the door and she was standing there with this ray of light on her,” said Schmiege. “Our eyes met and I knew for the rest of my life, that was the person.”

Schmiege said she self-identifies as a lesbian, but Catlett said she doesn’t like the labels.

“You know, I’m just a person,” Catlett said. “I prefer to be just a couple.”

Anthony Montaño and Jose Garcia may not have been first in line, but they were the first male couple to receive a marriage license in Bernalillo County.

With their three best friends present, the couple married in a judge’s chambers just after receiving the license.

“I’m excited,” said Montaño. “It’s a historical day for everyone in New Mexico.”

The two met five years ago at the Chili’s restaurant where they work.

“I walked up to him a couple weeks after I started working there and I told him he was going to be my husband one day, and he kind of ignored me and walked away,” Montaño said. “Two weeks later he never left my house.”

Garcia said he is still processing the event.

“I’m still in shock,” he said. “I’m not sure if it really happened.”

Montaño said the newlyweds are planning to hold a larger ceremony with all of their friends and family, but they wanted to make sure they filed the paperwork today, just in case the court’s decision on same-sex marriage was challenged in the future.

“Angry people might decide to take it away,” he said.

Catlett said Schmiege made her promise on television that she would take her to Costa Rica for their honeymoon. Garcia said he and Montaño are planning one, but they don’t yet know when or where to.