Senior running back Kasey Carrier celebrates with sophomore tailback Jhurell Pressley after scoring one of his four touchdowns on the night. The Lobos won 42-35 in overtime in El Paso, Texas at the Sun Bowl.

UNM prevails in overtime thriller

Lobos edge UTEP 42-35 for season’s first win

EL PASO, Texas – Running back Kasey Carrier scored a game-winning 21-yard touchdown in overtime, leading New Mexico to a 42-35 victory over UTEP Saturday night at the Sun Bowl.

Carrier rushed for 291 yards and four touchdowns, including the final score. In OT the captain had two short runs, setting up a third-down-and-3 situation. On the next play, Carrier found a hole in the UTEP right side and ran to paydirt. He also scored on a 30-yard run and two 2-yard spurts.

The game remained tight throughout as each team exchanged touchdowns and tied five times.

Junior quarterback Clayton Mitchem, starting over injured sophomore Cole Gautsche, rushed for 51 yards and two scores. Mitchem completed four of his seven pass attempts for 88 yards, including a 29-yard strike to sophomore tight end Reece White that set up one of Carrier’s runs. Sophomore running back Jhurell Pressley caught two balls for 42 yards, including a 40-yard completion.

The Lobos (1-1) finished with 395 rushing yards, holding UTEP (0-1) to 280 yards on the ground and 119 yards through the air. UTEP junior quarterback Jameill Showers was 15-for-20 passing with a touchdown. Miner freshman running back Aaron Jones had 127 yards and two touchdowns.