UNM Crime Briefs

Bike reported stolen near Bandelier Hall

On Oct. 17, a UNMPD officer was dispatched in reference to a bike theft. Upon arrival, the victim told the officer that he locked his bike on a rack near Bandelier Hall that morning, according to the report. The report states when the victim returned a little past noon, he said his bike wasn’t there. Instead, it was reportedly replaced by a maroon Suteki bicycle, which was placed in the exact same spot where the man parked his bike. According to the report, the Suteki bike was not locked into the rack.
According to the report, the victim rode the replacement bike to the police department where he reported the incident. Police were unable to find any witnesses or suspects, and UNMPD kept the new bike for safekeeping.

Cops: student leaves his stuff, it gets stolen

On Oct. 17, a student reported at UNMPD of a theft of his property. According to the report, the victim was at the Zimmerman Library earlier that morning, and he left his belongings unattended. The report states that someone went through his belongings and stole his valuables. According to the report, stolen items included an iPad, the victim’s wallet, identification cards and a refillable Starbucks card. Police are not able to identify any suspect or witnesses at this time.

UNMPD: Bike parked on Cornell stolen

On Oct. 18, a woman reported to UNMPD that her bike had been stolen earlier that day. According to the report, the victim parked her bike along Cornell Drive, and when she came back later that day, she was unable to find it. The woman stated no one “had permission to take the bike,” according to the report. But the woman was unable to provide police with the bke’s serial number and did not know the make of her bike. Police obtained a written statement from the woman about the theft.

Report: Patient had drugs at UNMH

On Oct. 20, police was dispatched to UNM Hospital in reference to a patient in possession of illegal drugs. According to the report, an officer was able to obtain a black case containing drug paraphernalia from the hospital’s nursing staff. The report states the case contained “a spoon with burnt residue, a blue cylinder tube, a small pair of pliers as well as an empty syringe.” According to the report, hospital staff told police that the suspect would stay at UNMH for at least four weeks. The report states the officer warned the patient not to use drugs in hospital property to avoid legal trouble, and the patient said he understood.

UNMPD seized the contents of the case. According to the report, police placed the empty syringe in a sharps container and destroyed the remaining paraphernalia. Police did not take any enforcement action regarding the incident, and no further action has been taken by UNMPD at this time.