Football: ‘It’s pretty apparent they’re better than us’

@ThomasRomeroS

It’s the same story, just a different week, for New Mexico’s football team.

This time at No. 15 Fresno State, UNM’s defense allowed a school-record 820 yards of total offense in a 69-28 loss in Bulldog Stadium.

It’s the ninth time this season the Lobos have allowed 30 points or more, the sixth time they’ve given up 40 or more, the fifth time they’ve permitted 50 points or more, and the third time they’ve let an opponent score 60 points or more.

UNM (3-8, 1-6 Mountain West Conference) hasn’t given up fewer than 30 points since a 66-17 victory over in-state rival New Mexico State on Oct. 5.

Head coach Bob Davie’s tone after the game wasn’t one of anger or disappointment; instead, he was quick to praise Fresno State’s quarterback Derrick Carr. In only three quarters of action, Carr completed 27 of 37 attempts, threw for 527 yards and tossed a school-record seven touchdowns.

“There were some challenges out there,” Davie said. “I give him (Carr) credit: That kid is a great player. Those receivers are big time … I give them a lot of credit. I really do.”

The disparity between the two teams showed quickly when Carr hit wide receiver Davante Adams for a 57-yard score and a 7-0 lead with 8:18 left in the first quarter. After the teams traded punts, Fresno State scored on four of its next five possessions for a 35-0 lead at halftime.

UNM’s offense was without starting sophomore quarterback Cole Gautsche and redshirt senior running back Kasey Carrier, who were both out with concussion symptoms.

In place of Gautsche was junior Clayton Mitchem, who isn’t as adept at running the triple-option system as Gautsche. As a result, UNM never got into gear in the first half, gaining just 155 yards of total offense with 42 of those yards coming on the ground.

“They did a good job on defense, but they didn’t get a chance to see our offense,” Davie said. “This was the perfect storm in which we couldn’t run option football. If we can’t scheme with where we are in the program, we have very little chance.”

The Lobo offense did find a rhythm in the third quarter, scoring 21 of its 28 points. Junior running back Crusoe Gongbay found the end zone from 15 yards out for UNM’s first score of the game.

Carr quickly replied with a 59-yard strike to Adams, Carr’s longest completion of the day, for a 42-7 lead. Adams finished the day with nine catches for 246 yards and four scores.

On UNM’s next possession, Mitchem scored on a 24-yard with 9:42 left in the third.

Fresno State (10-0, 7-0 MWC) responded with two more touchdown throws from Carr and a 56-14 lead. Both went to wideout Josh Harper: one from 59 yards, the other at 11 yards. Harper had 161 yards on 10 catches with three touchdowns.

“It was a bunch of older guys against a bunch of younger guys, that’s what it was,” Davie said. “It’s pretty apparent they’re better than us.”

UNM sophomore receiver Carlos Wiggins returned the ensuing kickoff 89 yards to cut Fresno State’s lead to 63-21. It was Wiggins’ third kickoff return for a score this season.

At the start of the fourth quarter, the Bulldogs could’ve hit 70 points but missed the extra point attempt after a 1-yard run by halfback Malique Micenheimer. UNM’s last score came on an 80-yard dash by redshirt sophomore tailback Jhurell Pressley against Fresno State’s backups for the final score of 69-28.

Mitchem finished with 157 yards, completing eight of 11 passes.

Pressley led UNM with 87 yards rushing on four carries. Gongbay ran the ball 19 times for just 54 yards and one score.

Josh Quezada led the Bulldogs with 95 rushing yards on 11 attempts with one touchdown.

“We need to mature more as a team. That will help us in the long run,” Wiggins said.