11/22_football

Several Lobos try to stop Colorado State Rams running back Kapri Bibbs as he scores a touchdown during a Nov. 16 game at University Stadium. The Lobos face Boise State tonight for their season finale.

Football: Lobos finish season at Boise State

by Thomas Romero-Salas
@ThomasRomeroS
The identity of New Mexico’s defense has yet to be determined.

But head coach Bob Davie has an idea for what UNM’s defense could be in the future.

“You have to have a unique niche and you have to have an attacking mode,” Davie said. “We have that niche on offense, but we need to find that niche on defense. Now we need to put that plan into place.”

That defensive niche will have to wait for another time because UNM still has one more game left on the schedule – Boise State. UNM (3-8, 1-6 Mountain West Conference) is a five touchdown underdog today at Bronco Stadium.

Fortunately for the Lobos, the Broncos (7-4, 5-2) are having a down year. Boise State’s four losses are the most since 2005.

Boise State runs a pistol read offense and has the 23rd ranked offense in the country, averaging 474.4 yards per game. The Broncos defense has struggle this year ranking 77th, allowing 414.4 yards per game.

Davie said the reasons for the Broncos defensive struggles are because their lack of experience.

“They’re very experienced offense. They’re more experienced on offense than defense. They’re good,” Davie said.

Injuries have ravaged the Lobos down the stretch. They will be out with starting quarterback Cole Gautsche, running back Kasey Carrier and starting defensive end Brett Bowers. Several backups will also be out and several starters will be playing injured.

That will only hurt the Lobos’ 120th ranked defense that much more. UNM has given up at least 451 yards of total offense in nine straight games. Only once this season have the Lobos allowed less than 400 yards of total offense and that was in the season-opening loss to the University of Texas-San Antonio.

“The shocking way that looks is just something you have to deal with it,” Davie said. “You just have to make sense of it.”

Football at Boise State
8:20 p.m.
Channels: Comcast 8, DirecTV 209, Dish 144