Football: Progress shows in loss

@ThomasRomeroS

Maturity takes time.

Two years ago, the New Mexico football team fell at Boise State 45-0 without much of a fight.

On Saturday, UNM lost once again to the Broncos in Boise, Idaho, but the game was much more competitive. The Lobos lost their regular season finale 45-17 at Bronco Stadium.

Redshirt senior defensive end Jacori Greer said the Lobos have matured since their 2011 defeat against the Broncos, but that they still need more experience. UNM played without several starters due to injuries.

“Two years ago everybody beat us up from a physical standpoint,” Greer said. “I feel like our talent is there and our physicality is there. It’s just about getting that extra experience, and that’ll be big for us in the future.”

UNM did have its chances before Boise State pulled away.

Trailing 14-7 at the start of the second quarter, the Lobos had a first-and-goal at the Broncos’ 2-yard line. UNM was stuffed on four straight runs, turning the ball over on downs.

The Broncos scored on the following possession thanks to a 29-yard touchdown reception from running back Jay Ajayi, giving Boise State a 21-7 lead with 7:16 left. Ajayi led Boise State with 147 rushing yards on 22 carries with one score.

After UNM kicked a field goal at the beginning of the third quarter, Boise State responded with a five-play, 92-yard drive capped by an 18-yard rush by Ajayi.

The Lobo defense had one of its best efforts in weeks, allowing the Broncos to gain just 432 total yards of offense and forcing them to punt the ball six times. It was the first time UNM allowed less than 451 yards of offense since a 66-17 win over New Mexico State on Oct. 5

“Two years ago, the team was a lot younger and we didn’t understand the stakes,” Greer said. “(Today,) guys were really giving up for the team. This is the first time on defense that I feel we came together and kind of played our butts off.”

During the fourth quarter, Boise State squashed any hopes of a UNM comeback with two touchdown passes from quarterback Grant Hedrick for a 42-10 lead. Matt Miller, who had a game-high nine catches for 111 yards and three scores, caught both touchdowns: the first was form 24 yards out, the second from 13 yards.

Lobo freshman running back Teriyon Gipson scored the final touchdown of the game from 22 yards out with 4:48 remaining in the game. Boise State added a field goal at the 2:42 mark for the final score of 45-17.

“(UNM) had a lot of heart and a lot of fight,” head coach Bob Davie said. “There are a lot of young guys that are going to continue to play. I’m really proud of them.”

UNM gashed Boise State for 300 yards on the ground, but mustered just 362 total yards of offense. Junior tailback Crusoe Gongbay ran the ball 12 times for 77 yards with one score, while Gipson had 10 carries for 76 yards and one touchdown.

Junior quarterback Clayton Mitchem completed nine of 13 passes for 52 yards and one interception. Boise State’s Hedrick threw for 175 yards, completing 13 of 21 passes with three scores.

“From all of this, I think something can be built,” Davie said. “To come in here and play as hard as we did — we can leave here feeling pretty good.”