For Your Ears

The Front Bottoms, You Blew It!, The Wild, Young Lungs
The Gasworks
Tonight at 7 p.m.
$10
All ages

Sometimes bands like to jump right to the point with their name — and contemporary American emo bands are no exception. While not as over-the-top as artists like The World is a Beautiful Place and I’m No Longer Afraid to Die, Orlando natives You Blew It! have found a crossroads among self loathing, shouting vocals and twinkling melodies.

For Your Ears: “The One with Marc” finds You Blew It! at a quarter-life crisis, questioning life in the terrible 20s with lines like “I’ve written an ending involving a shaved face and some better posture.”

March Fourth Marching Band
Sunshine Theater
Friday at 8 p.m.
$17-$22
All ages

March Fourth Marching Band is all about having fun — there are spectacles with each show from this large traveling band. Saxophone and flute solos are as likely to meet the stage as are accompanying stilt walkers and burlesque dancers.

For Your Ears: “Shindig” is a roaring dance song with blasting horns and a muted trumpet solo that foxtrots its way through the last half of the song.

Orgone, Chach, Dave 12
Low Spirits
Sunday at 8 p.m.
$10
21

While funk might be a rarity in the local music scene, funk afrobeat group Orgone will show New Mexicans how it’s done with bright Californian horns and reverb guitar lines.

For Your Ears: “Ronin” sets a mellow groove with a relaxed guitar and bass, before the ensuing trumpet and trombone solos comfortably float atop the established chilled tone.

The Menzingers, Off With Their Heads
The Gasworks
Monday, Jan. 27 at 7 p.m.
$10
All ages

East coast punk rock has been on a roll for the past five years or so, and Pennsylvania act The Menzingers brings a heavy dose of soul to its choruses.

For Your Ears: “Gates” is a love song to the town of Scranton, about late nights spent in diners and outside CVS parking lots.

Toxic Holocaust, Exhumed, Mammoth Grinder, Ramming Speed
Launchpad
Wednesday, Jan. 29 at 7:30 p.m.
$15
All ages

Similar to American emo bands, thrash metal groups tend to forgo subtlety in favor of a loud name — enter Toxic Holocaust. This Portland metal band has head-banged since 1999 and are still one of the standout heavy acts today.

For Your Ears: “Acid Fuzz” is fun: the guitars quickly buzz by, the percussion joyfully crunches, and the vocals are both harsh and playful.