4-25 Crime briefs

On April 12, an officer was driving through A-lot, south of the Student Resident Center, when he noticed a pair of bolt cutters laying under a car that had a boot on it. The reports states that the officer continued to drive through the area and noticed a white male adult in a black t-shirt and jeans, with curly hair to his collar. The suspect was walking away from the area on the west side of the SRC’s. According to the report, the officer posted himself in the area and about 20 minutes later the subject returned to the vehicle, picked up the bolt cutters and covered them with his jacket. The officer called for backup and began to approach the subject, who fled north into the SRCs. The officer was unable to find the subject and began to inspect the boot on the car. According to the report, there were signs of damage on the shank of the lock, which were consistent with cutting. The officer made contact with a parking enforcement officer, who said the lock had been successful cut off before. The report states that the parking officer replaced the lock until the owner paid for all the associate parking fees. According to the report, the officer asked the parking enforcer to get the subject’s ID when the subject comes to Parking Services to get his car out of impound. He said if he saw the same subject from the parking lot, he would follow up with a supplemental report and a criminal complaint. There is no further information at this time. On April 14, UNMPD officers were dispatched to UNM Hospital in reference to a simple battery. According to the report, upon arrival the officer made contact with the victim, who had filled out a written report. The report states that the officer talked to the victim, who identified the subject as a co-worker. The victim stated that while obtaining gloves from the supply room, she was approached by her co-worker, who lifted her to pop her back. According to the report, the male suspect started touching her chest and she tried to push him away. The report states the subject tried lifting her “somemore,” but the victim asked him to stop so he did. After they finished stocking the cart with gloves, the suspect continued to try to hug and kiss the victim, but she pulled away, according to the report. The report states the suspect asked the victim to close her eyes, who said no, but the male did not want to leave her alone. According to the report, the female victim was able to leave the room and the male suspect apologized for making her feel uncomfortable. The officer asked the victim at what point during the conversation did “popping her back” come about. The victim said the topic never came up, but she was in a position with her arms crossed to allow it to happen. The report states that the victim did not want to get the co-worker in trouble and was unsure whether she wanted to prosecute. On April 17, UNMPD officers were dispatched to Casa Del Rio dorms in reference to two subjects smoking marijuana, according to a report. The report states the officer made contact with the Resident Life Specialist, who directed him to the suspect’s dorm room. Upon arrival, the officer made contact with the two suspects, who turned over multiple containers of marijuana and paraphernalia, according to the report. According to the report, the officer advised the suspects that once the police reports were complete, they would submit them to the Dean’s office for review. The officers took the contraband and tagged the items for destruction. According to the report, the case is considered exceptionally cleared and closed with no charges filed. On April 17, an officer was dispatched to the Coronado dormitory parking lot in reference to a burglarized vehicle. After taking the report, he observed another vehicle that appeared to be broken into. The report states that the officer secured the vehicle and left a note on the owner’s vehicle to contact UNMPD for a complete inventory. According to the report, the officer noticed that the rear utility passenger window was broken and the vehicle’s car stereo was stolen. UNMPD dispatch has made several attempts to contact the owner.