Campus briefs

assistant-news@dailylobo.com
@ChloeHenson5

Educator’s Career Fair

The UNM Career Services office hosted the Educator’s Career Fair at the Student Union Building on Wednesday from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. The fair was set up across all three ballrooms in the SUB and was open to student, faculty, staff and alumni. Forty-eight institutions showed up to recruit teachers, according to a document provided at the fair. Schools came from around New Mexico and other states, such as Arizona, Texas, Kansas, Utah and Oregon. Several recruiters said they were searching for bilingual students, such as Española Public Schools Human Resource Manager Esther Romero. Romero said she was looking for an elementary school teacher with a bilingual endorsement. She said she would also be recruiting at New Mexico State University, Northern New Mexico College and New Mexico Highlands University.

Alliance of African American Groups

UNM President Robert Frank and representatives from an Alliance of African American Groups have met some of their goals to promote diversity and equity on campus, according to a UNM news release. Frank has been meeting regularly with the representatives for the past year and a half because of a campus climate study that was conducted a few years ago, according to the release. Some of the group’s accomplishments include increasing African American faculty and staff at UNM, improving efforts to recruit and graduate African American students, implementing comprehensive safety initiatives and promoting civility on campus. Scott Carreathers, director of African American Student Services, is the official liaison between the Office of the President and the Alliance of African American Groups. The committee will continue to meet on a regular basis, according to the release.

GPSA Presidential Debate

The Graduate and Professional Student Association will host a presidential debate in the SUB at 1 p.m. Thursday. Presidential Candidates Glenda Lewis and Texanna Martin will voice their ideas and attempt to gain votes in order to succeed current GPSA President Priscila Poliana. At a forum Tuesday, Lewis said she wants to improve collaboration on campus and promote interdisciplinary research. Martin said she wants to focus on increased transparency, funding and equity and inclusion on campus. General elections for GPSA will start Monday and end April 10, according to a calendar on the GPSA website. Council Representatives will vote on their new council chair on April 26.