Lobo women sing Sirens to sleep on Italian tour

The New Mexico women’s basketball team has grown during its exhibition tour in Italy. The squad improved to 2-0 with a 70-54 victory over the Adriatic Sea Sirens last Saturday.

“We played well,” head coach Yvonne Sanchez told reporters of GoLobos.com. “We got out to a much quicker start (than on Thursday), and our starters did a great job. We put different combinations in and our big lead dissipated, which isn’t surprising with the combinations we were playing. But overall, I was really pleased.”

Paving the way to victory was UNM junior guard Brea Mitchell, who scored 16 points including four 3-pointers.

“I just wanted to be aggressive, looking for my shot,” Mitchell said. “My confidence is up. I’ve been working hard with my shot back home and (tonight) it paid off.”

Redshirt senior guard Antiesha Brown also offered a significant contribution to the victory, recording 13 points while grabbing nine rebounds. Junior forward Khadijah Shumpert helped her team achieve the second win of the four-game tour with nine points and eight rebounds.

According to UNM Athletics, the Lobos have had to overcome warm conditions because neither gymnasium supplied air conditioning.

UNM will rest for several days before traveling to Florence, followed by a trip to Rome, where the Lobos will play their final two games of the exhibition tour.

The Lobos will face the Netherlands national team on Tuesday. On Wednesday, UNM will once again face the Netherlands team in the tour’s finale.

Liam Cary-Eaves is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached via email at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.