Sports Briefs

Volleyball

The New Mexico volleyball team went winless at the Paradise Tour in Hawaii over the weekend.

UNM lost its first match of the tournament against No. 20 Hawaii 3-1 (26-24, 18-25, 11-25, 17-25) on Thursday.

Against St. John’s on Friday, UNM was swept 3-0 (22-25, 18-25, 23-25). Head coach Jeff Nelson said he was not pleased with the Lobos’ play versus the Red Storm.

“Quite frankly, I’m sorry I brought us over here,” he said. “I brought us over here to make us tougher, to make us better and ready for conference. Instead we have kids over here that have decided to be on vacation.”

In the tournament finale against No. 22 Oregon, UNM lost 3-1 (18-25, 26-24, 19-25, 19-25).

Outside hitter Chantale Riddle earned a spot on the All-Tournament Team and led UNM with 16 kills against the Ducks.

The Lobos are now 2-4 this season.

Men’s basketball

The Lobos announced that Benjamin Sanders will be the team’s new video coordinator this upcoming season.

He replaces Brandon Mason, who left UNM to become an assistant coach at New Mexico Highlands earlier this summer.

According to a release, Sanders will be responsible for the team’s video needs, including game film and coaches’ film.

Sanders was the video coordinator at Rice last season. He was also a graduate assistant on Ben Braun’s staff with the Owls.

Sanders was also an assistant coach at NCAA Division III Alfred University.

Women’s soccer

UNM started its season with a 2-1 loss against Marquette in the Colorado College Invitational.

Marquette overcame a 1-0 deficit by scoring two goals in less than two minutes in the second half. Jacie Jermier scored in the 52nd minute and Eli Beard hit the back of the net in the 54th minute.

The Lobos took a 1-0 lead in the 11th minute when Dylann O’Connor nailed a shot from the left side of the box.

“For the first game, I thought we did some really good things,” UNM head coach Kit Vela said in a release. “We had some youthful mistakes that cost us in the second half. But our effort and attitude were outstanding, and that’s the one thing we can control.”

On Sunday, UNM lost 2-1 to Weber State.