José Manuel “Chepo” de la Torre signs autographs during the International Legends Cup at University Stadium on Saturday. The International Legends Cup matched former international World Cup soccer players against each other on a single field.

Exhibition match yields golden opportunity

In hopes to spread passion for soccer, the Albuquerque Sol, a Premier Development League soccer team, brought 37 international soccer legends to University Stadium for a friendly exhibition match called the International Legends Cup.

The game was scheduled to begin at 4 p.m. on Saturday, but when 4 p.m. came around there was no action on the field.

Confused fans sat patiently while two people dressed as giant IHOP pancakes entertained the crowd.

An hour passed before the legends set foot in the stadium. The players were late because they had been mobbed by fans at their hotel.

Sol manager Larry Espinoza said he was glad when the game finally started.

“The kickoff was the big sigh of relief because, you know, it finally happened,” he said.

The players’ late arrival was not the only problem the event encountered. There were not enough players for the game because of flight issues and some injuries.

This is where Carbajal came in.

Carbajal, a Sol player and UNM student, received a call on Saturday morning to help out with the event. He accepted, and after his duties were done he went to the locker room to wish the players luck.

He was then invited to join the game. He said yes.

Fabian Carbajal is the grandson of Antonio Carbajal, a Mexican soccer star known as “El Cinco Copas,” in reference to the five World Cups he played in.

As soon as the players found out who Carbajal was related to, they became ecstatic.

Carlos Bracamontes, a former Mexican coach and former player from the Liga Mexicana, was coached by Antonio Carbajal himself. Bracamontes was one of the coaches for the Legends Cup match.

“When I talked to them and they found out who my grandfather was, they were really friendly with me,” Carbajal said. “They are friendly with everybody, but especially with me because they know who he is and they admire him too.”

Espinoza said he was glad one of his Sol players happened to be there and was able to play.

“For him to have that experience, for him to say he’s played with legends, that in of itself is just amazing,” he said.

It was a stressful day for Espinoza, and although things didn’t go the way he planned, he did say it was “a good start.”

Several legends said they had a good time and did not regret coming. It was the kind of game where the only thing that mattered was for people to have fun.

Benjamin Galindo, a member of Mexico’s 1994 World Cup squad, said he enjoyed himself and was glad to see that the fans did too.

“I think the fans that came had a great time,” said Galindo. “We are former players that enjoy doing this kind of matches to get people to have a good time.”

Isabel Gonzalez is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @cisabelg.