New Mexico quarterback Lamar Jordan (13) attempts to avoid being tackled by a San Diego State defenseman during the Oct. 10 game. The Lobos host Boise State Saturday at 5 p.m.

Lobos start strong but stall in second half

The Lobos are 0-4 at home this season and have lost by an average of 15 points per game. UNM’s four losses are to UTEP, then-No. 17 Arizona State, Fresno State and San Diego State.

The problem for the Lobos is the second half of home games, where they’ve scored just 33 points in eight quarters. Almost half of those points (17) came in UNM’s 31-24 season opening loss to UTEP. On average, the Lobos have scored four points after halftime at University Stadium.

UNM has been outscored 68-33 in the third and fourth quarters.

“I just feel like we’ve played the game the same. We’ve just had a hard time finishing. That’s what we’ve been stressing these past weeks,” quarterback Lamar Jordan said. “That’s why we won at UNLV. We had a strong finish in that fourth quarter. I feel like this game is going to be a lot different than the other four.”

Next up on UNM’s home schedule is a red-hot Boise State team (6-2, 3-1 Mountain West) that has won six out of its past seven games. The Broncos have one of the best offenses in college football, averaging 504 total yards per game, which ranks 16th in the country.

Boise State averages 34 points per game and has scored over 50 points in two of its past three games. In comparison, the Lobos average just 378 yards per game (85th) and score just 25 points per game. The Broncos are favored by 19 points in University Stadium.

“They look to me a lot like you pictured the past years of Boise State. The offense is clicking. The quarterback’s really hot, really playing well. They have their deceptive plays,” head coach Bob Davie said. “They look like they are really hitting their stride right now, that they are playing their best football of the year as it goes on, and if that wasn’t enough, I made sure they had an open date before they came in.”

The Broncos offense is multifaceted and balanced with the second-rated passing offense (305 yards per game) and the fourth-ranked rushing offense (198 yards) in the Mountain West. That is due in part because of quarterback Grant Hedrick, who leads the nation in completion percentage with a 72 percent average. Hedrick has thrown for over 2,241 yards and averages 8.55 yards per completion, but has tossed just one more touchdown (12) than interception (11).

Running back Jay Ajayi is the workhorse for Boise State, averaging 123 rushing yards per game. Ajayi averages 5 yards per carry and has scored 12 touchdowns this season.

UNM has been prone to giving up rushing yards this season, allowing teams to run for an average of 275 yards per game.

“They’re a pretty well balanced offense. No. 27 is their guy. He’s their dude. He’s going to get the ball and run it,” safety David Guthrie said. “If you can get two screws on him and make them a little bit one dimensional, then we’ve got a better chance.”

The Lobos offense will look different to begin the game as Jordan will start for the first time at quarterback in his career. Starting signal-caller Cole Gautsche is out with a significant foot injury and may miss the rest of the season.

It may be tough for UNM (3-5, 1-3 Mountain West) to run its triple option offense because Boise State allows an average of 113 yards (15th) on the ground this season. The Lobos gain 304 yards per game on the ground, ranking fourth in the nation.

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @ThomasRomeroS.

Football vs. Boise State

Saturday

5 p.m.

University Stadium

TV: CBS Sports Network