Sophomore midfielder Josh Goss controls the ball during Saturday’s loss to Marshall. The Lobos take on South Carolina tonight at 7 p.m.

End of senior tough on soccer seniors

Although the UNM is no longer in the run for the regular-season title, the Lobos say they think they can still take the Conference USA tournament and perhaps the NCAA.

“We control our own destiny,” head coach Jeremy Fishbein said. “I plan on playing quite a few more games. I plan on playing deep into the NCAA tournament. It’s no good to think anything else.”

The Lobos are coming off two back-to-back losses against UAB and Marshall University. The last 2-1 loss to Marshall was particularly “numbing,” Fishbein said.

“We didn’t get it done. Statistically we had the dominance of the game ... 31 shots, 15 corners to nothing. It was pretty amazing,” he said.

The Lobos are currently ranked 25th in the nation, and Fishbein is not complaining about it. He said that if the season ended today, he is confident his team we would get into the NCAA tournament with the ranking.

“It could be a lot worse,” he said.

Fishbein said the last three years the team had things “wrapped up” well in advanced, but this year provides a different situation because there is a lot of uncertainty regarding how many more games they will play.

“Our players aren’t familiar with being in this situation.” he said. “There’s still elements of doubt in terms of NCAA tournament, seating, home games; everything is in the air.”

Fishbein said the situation was especially tougher for the seniors because their collegiate careers are coming to an end.

Senior captain Mathew Gibbons admitted the uncertainty was tough but that he has not lost confidence in his team.

“It’s a hard one, especially for this senior class because our freshman year we went undefeated,” Gibbons said. “Things happen throughout seasons that you don’t plan on. That’s definitely happened this season, but there’s still good confidence in the team. We are going to go far in the tournament.”

Senior teammate Nick Miele agreed and said although there had been “a few hiccups” this season, he thinks the team is still in a good place.

“The message has been preached to us, we still have control of our own destiny,” he said.

Both seniors said their all their focus is on tonight’s match against South Carolina.

The Gamecocks are tied with the Lobos for the sixth spot in C-USA. The team that wins tonight has the possibility of moving as high as fourth if Old Dominion loses or ties Florida International. If UNM loses it will be the seventh seed for the C-USA tournament.

South Carolina is coming off a win against Old Dominion after having recorded two back-to-back losses.

The Monarchs lead 18-10 in shots and 3-1 in corner kicks, but the Gamecocks fought till the last minute. The match was scoreless until a goal in the 89th minute by Freshman Mikkel Knudsen gave the Gamecocks all they needed to pick up the win.

Fishbein did not appear too worried about tonight’s match and said he feels the Lobos will be the better team.

“In sports, there are really few excuses out there. Either you are confident, you are prepared and you are good, or you are not,” he said.

Isabel Gonazlez is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @cisabelg.

Men’s soccer vs. South Carolina

Friday

7 p.m.

UNM Soccer Complex