U.S. Rep. Michelle Lujan Grisham gives her victory speech on Tuesday night. Lujan Grisham, a Democrat, won re-election to the First Congressional District by defeating her opponent, Republican Michael Frese.

Lujan Grisham grabs comfortable win over Frese in CD1

The Democratic incumbent beat Frese 59 to 41 percent as of press time.

For her second term, Lujan Grisham said she plans to focus on the state’s economy with an emphasis on encouraging small businesses and farmers, supporting education and rebuilding New Mexicans’ faith in the U.S. Congress.

“I want voters to know we’re really beginning to see a turn, a shift, and I’m excited about that work,” she said. “I’m excited to be a part of that, and now I need us all to embrace that we’re going to bring those kind of changes right back here to this community.”

Lujan Grisham said she feels voters have made an investment in their future by deciding to send her back to Washington. She said her team was confident that they had run the best campaign possible, and credits her win to a strong field campaign and a very effective message.

“I have all the constituents, all these voters who put their faith back in me,” she said. “That’s an incredible statement, and I’m honored and humbled and ready to work hard. I also recognize it’s a tough road, so I’m ready to do that tough work and I’m starting tomorrow.”

At her victory speech, Lujan Grisham was introduced by her two daughters, whom she said inspire her to try to make New Mexico the best place in the country to raise a family.

“New Mexico should be the start-up state for the United States,” she said. “With your support tonight we have the opportunity to keep building in that direction.”

Challenger Frese said that although he had gained some name recognition and was able to win a significant percentage of the vote, he does not have any thoughts at this time about running for political office again.

“I got into this because I wanted to spread the message,” Frese said after the results came in. “I thought it was an important message. In my campaign it resonated, but did it resonate with the average voter? I don’t believe I had enough money to impact the average voter.”

Max Barnett, Frese’s campaign manager, said he feels that Frese lost due to the campaign’s lack of funding and support.

Lujan Grisham promised that New Mexico will no longer be at the bottom of the list in child hunger and wellbeing.

She then introduced her mother, whom Lujan Grisham said was one of the first to champion special education in New Mexico. She went on to discuss the role that the federal government should play in improving education in the state.

“I think about every child, regardless of their educational challenges, that deserves the very best from the federal government, deserves the very best from Congress and deserves every bit of our attention,” she said.

“It is rough when there are not a lot of resources, such as funding and volunteers,” Barnett said. “People in New Mexico are not used to volunteering, especially on the Republican side.”

In the closing of her speech, Grisham said she is confident that New Mexico will turn things around. She called on all the citizens of the state to do their part.

“I know that we’re all willing to roll up our sleeves and do the work that really makes a difference,” she said. “I need to hear it from you: that we’re going to keep working hard, that we’re not going to let New Mexico lag behind, that we’re going keep our hearts and our faith, we’re going to stand tall and proud.”

Matthew Reisen is a staff reporter and Mateo Rocha is a freelance reporter at the Daily Lobo. They can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.