Oniel Fisher taken by Sounders in MLS SuperDraft

The former UNM midfielder/defender was selected by Seattle Sounders FC during the second round of the SuperDraft. Fisher was the 40th overall selection and the third player selected by the Sounders.

This year 257 players are eligible for the draft, but only 82 of them will be selected by the MLS coaches.

Fisher is a native of Portmore, Jamaica and is therefore considered an international player. MLS roster rules limit the number of international spots, which makes it more unlikely for international players to be selected.

But this did not seem to have affected the 23-year-old player.

Fisher’s chances of being drafted increased when he, along with former teammate James Rogers, was among 55 seniors invited to the 2015 Adidas MLS Player Combine.

As a Lobo, Fisher mostly played midfield, but he played every game of the combine as a defender. It wasn’t long before he stood out as one of the top right backs.

“Given time and some room to run at guys, he can tear defenders to shreds,” read a story on the MLS website.

UNM head coach Jeremy Fishbein said this didn’t surprise him. He described Fisher as a “versatile” player with great athleticism.

Fishbein said he was happy for Fisher and that he thought he would be a good fit for the Sounders.

“He’s everything you want in a professional: hard-working, intelligent, dedicated and a committed teammate,” Fishbein said. “I’m really excited for him.”

Fishbein also said the fact that Seattle picked Fisher as an international player shows he is “a top-level player” and that “it shows how highly Seattle rates him.”

Fisher became a Lobo after he transferred from Tyler Junior College in 2013.

During his two years at UNM, he scored four goals and recorded three assists. He played a total of 2,960 minutes while helping his team reach its second-ever College Cup appearance in 2013.

The SuperDraft will conclude with two more rounds on Tuesday. Three other Lobos are still listed on the MLS website as eligible for this year’s draft: James Rogers, Mathew Gibbons and Riley McGovern.

Fishbein said he is confident in his players’ skills and he expects at least one other Lobo to be picked in the next two weeks, the most likely being Rogers.

Isabel Gonzalez is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @cisabelg.