New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez cheers on the Lobos during a basketball game last season. Martinez donated $10,000 to Hugh Greenwoods Pink Pack on Monday afternoon.

Governor donates to UNM Cancer Center

Susana Martinez supports Hugh Greenwood's 'Pink Pack' with $10,000 gift

New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez presented UNM men’s basketball head coach Craig Neal with a $10,000 check to be given to Greenwood’s campaign, money that was unused from a privately-collected inaugural fund.

“I am donating $10,000 from my inaugural committee to the ‘Pink Pack’ because the only way we will find a cure for cancer is by joining together, pooling our resources and focusing on the lifesaving mission that everyone can fight back against cancer,” Martinez said.

Greenwood, whose mother is battling breast cancer, visited Twitter on Monday afternoon after receiving news about the donation. He tweeted, “Absolutely Speechless! Words can’t even begin to describe how thankful I am to you @Gov_Martinez, and your $10,000 donation to 
@HGPinkPack!”

He later added, “The great thing is that the $ raised by @HGPinkPack is not only supporting Research, Patient Care and Facilities, but its doing so here in NM!”

Anyone who watched last week’s game against UNLV or was on social media shortly thereafter saw something unexpected from the senior guard.

Greenwood was attacked via Twitter from an anonymous account that was making cancer jokes and taking shots at the Greenwood family leading up to the game. He soon got his revenge on the Twitter heckler during and after the game.

He knocked down a career-high six 3-pointers in the 71-69 win over the Rebels and addressed the Twitter account after the game saying that it’s one thing to attack him personally but when his family gets involved, that’s where the line is drawn.

Greenwood made national news for his comments and was on the front page of yahoo.com for a short time with a headline that read, “New Mexico player answers Twitter troll,” along with being talked about all over the sports world.

“I am so proud of Hugh for standing beside his mother, for taking the high-road during the UNLV game, for having the courage to fight against cancer — for his own family and for others — and that is why I am standing by Hugh today,” Martinez later added.

For more info on the “Pink Pack” and ways to donate, visit www.unmfund.org/fund/hugh-greenwood-famil/.

Kyle Tomasi is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @KyTo22.