Curried Chickpeas
Curried Chickpeas

Food column: Garbanzos made easy

Actually, it is more than one word, since this legume is also known as ceci, cece, chickpea, chana, Egyptian pea, gram or Bengal gram. It is high in protein, low in fat, naturally gluten-free and is among the oldest legumes known to be domesticated. Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Asian and North African cuisines use garbanzos extensively.

Garbanzos and other beans are often combined with rice to make a complete protein without animal products.

Garbanzos are available precooked in cans or dried. While dried garbanzos can be found for cheap in the bulk aisle of most stores, canned are far more convenient and easy to use.

Once soaked and simmered, garbanzos plump up to about 2 1/2 cups per single cup of dry beans.

One quick and easy way to serve garbanzos is to roast them. These are far healthier than chips or other processed snack foods, as well as far cheaper and perfect for snacking while studying for that next test.

Roasted Chickpeas

• 22-ounce can of garbanzo beans, rinsed well and dried
  • 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
  • 1 to 2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce, curry paste or other sauce (optional)
  • 1 tablespoon sea salt (or use a seasoning salt or spice mix, such as Cajun seasoning)

Preheat oven to 400 °F. Rinse the canned garbanzos well, and then drain and place on paper towels on a sheet pan. Rub with more paper towels to dry, as well as remove the skins that remain on some of them. The skins will burn if not removed. Mix the oil and any seasoning sauce well in a large mixing bowl and then toss the beans in the oil mixture. Spread them out on a baking sheet (line the baking sheet with foil for easy clean up). Shake the salt or seasoning mix over the garbanzos and roast for about 20 minutes. Check the beans, mix to make sure they are cooking evenly and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes, checking every five minutes to avoid burning. The garbanzos should be crispy. Feel free to double this recipe or more, as they are delicious and disappear quickly.

Gram flour, or besan as it is known in India, is simply dried garbanzos ground into flour. It is the base for pakoras (vegetable fritters) as well as chapatti, which is a traditional Indian flatbread. In the French region of Provence, garbanzo flour is cooked in water to create a paste, much like cornmeal polenta. The paste, called panisse, is allowed to set and then sliced and grilled or fried.

One of the most common uses of garbanzos in the United States is in hummus. Cooked garbanzos are pureed with tahini (sesame paste), olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and parsley to create a healthy dip. A quick hummus can also be made with gram flour, and there is no need for a food processor. A quick internet search will turn up hundreds of recipes, some including other flavors, such as roasted peppers, sundried tomatoes or any of dozens of more options. Substitute baked pita chips or fresh veggies for potato chips and hummus for packaged dip to save hundreds of calories as well as eliminating lots of chemicals from the highly processed foods.

Garbanzos are also used whole in dishes from India to North Africa, whether scattered cold over salads or cooked with vegetables in a savory sauce and served over rice.

An easy way to get the protein in a delicious fashion without meat is to cook chickpeas in a curry sauce in a crock pot or a large skillet.

Curried Chickpeas

• 22-ounce can of garbanzos with liquid
  • 8-ounce can of chopped tomatoes or one large tomato, diced
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons curry paste (either homemade or store bought; Talin World Market carries more than a dozen kinds)
  • 3 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1 cup diced onion (about half a large yellow or red onion)
  • 12-ounce can of light or regular coconut milk
  • 12 ounces frozen spinach, thawed, drained and roughly chopped.
  • Optional: diced red potatoes, diced summer or winter squash, or if you like, diced chicken.

In a skillet, sauté onion, garlic and curry paste. If using a Crock-Pot, transfer the aromatics to the Crock-Pot and add all other ingredients except for spinach. Cook on low until ready to serve and add spinach. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and Sriracha sauce, if desired. Serve over wild, brown or basmati rice. Curried chickpeas are also often served with eggs simmered in the sauce for a great, easy breakfast.

This is a very simple recipe that can be personalized by adding seasonal vegetables, tofu or even meat. Experiment with other, more exotic seasonings to add variety.

Some people like to just season drained, canned chickpeas and eat them by the handful. This can be messy, so another way to do it is to sauté the beans in a tiny amount of oil and some dry herbs and spices. This will cause the flavorings to stick and reduce the moisture.

Steve “Mo” Fye is a food writer and copy editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @UncaMo.