Spring football: Other running backs take center as Pressley takes a spring break

Jhurell Pressley is likely to get his fair share of the carries in 2015, but the senior tailback isn’t taking repetitions during spring practice because he’s not enrolled at UNM this semester. Head coach Bob Davie said Pressley will be back this summer and has not commented on why Pressley isn’t in school this spring.

With Pressley not being at spring practice that only means other running backs will take his reps and get more accustomed to the offense.

“They are huge; extra reps for anybody is huge. In order to learn the play, you have to get out there and run it and be in that situation,” running back David Anaya said. “It’s unfortunate that Jhurell is not here, but right now it’s kind of an opportunity to get the extra reps and take advantage right now and get better.”

One of the halfbacks who is getting more time with the football is Rio Rancho native Romell Jordan.

Jordan showed off some of his explosiveness last season with a 75-yard touchdown run in a 28-21 loss at Utah State. The redshirt sophomore said he’s just starting to get comfortable in the offense.

“I feel good. I feel like I can bring quite a bit to the table,” Jordan said. “I’m starting to get the offense pretty good. When we make a check or something I’m pretty solid on it.”

The extra carries also means more time for junior tailback Teriyon Gipson, redshirt halfback Diquon Woodhouse and junior college transfer Daryl Chestnut, who hasn’t played football in two years.

Last week, Chestnut said it will take time for him to get accustomed to the triple option offense.

“Rust has to come off but football is all instincts,” he said. “So when you get here it comes natural, but you have to new learn plays, new installs and that’s the only thing that will get you a lot.”

Practice makes perfect

After practices Davie usually gives an assessment about whether the offense or defense won that specific day. When asked about it on Wednesday, Davie said the defense may have won by default but there’s more to it than who won or lost.

“It’s never that you’re looking for. The only reason why I do that is sometimes I want it to be a little unfair to see how guys respond,” Davie said. “The conflict resolution piece that’s something with a young immature football team. They have a hard time with conflict or when something goes wrong and being able to bounce back.

“The only reason why I put a winner or loser on it — I know it’s not equal or it’s not fair — but I want to see the guy who it was unfair to have to bounce back. There’s never really a true winner or true loser in the spring.”

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@ThomasRomeroS.