Group of UNM students dance on the stage at the LoboTHON Saturday at Johnson gym.  LoboTHON is an annual event held in order to raise donations for UNM Childrens Miracle Network Hospital. It raised $44,268.
Group of UNM students dance on the stage at the LoboTHON Saturday at Johnson gym. LoboTHON is an annual event held in order to raise donations for UNM Childrens Miracle Network Hospital. It raised $44,268.

Dance event aids children

LoboTHON raises money for children's hospital

Nearly 1,000 people came to Saturday’s dance marathon event, which raised $44,268 for children who are working hard to keep going. After a year of planning, some of the organizers will now move on to different projects, while others plan to dedicate their fundraising talents to next year’s dance marathon.

Jessica Marrello, a freshman exercise science major, said this was her first year volunteering at LoboTHON.

“I’ve been to quite a few events this school year and this is the most diverse crowd that I’ve seen at any of them.”

Another volunteer, Marisa Poveda, a freshman chemistry major, also commented on the diversity. She said there were people from fraternities, sororities, alumni, faculty and other groups. They came to show their support, build community, and raise funds all while having a great time, she said.

Several student groups worked together to make LoboTHON happen, including regent scholars, the UNM rugby team and participants of the national competition Up to Us.

Dasante Browne, a sophomore biochemistry major and a member of the rugby team, said the team raised money to donate specifically to LoboTHON.

Another rugby player, sophomore engineering major Erick Laight, said he enjoyed visiting the UNM Children’s Hospital after last year’s LoboTHON.

“We like to help. It’s about giving as a team, bringing people together and being a good person,” Laight said.

Tori Pryor, the operations director for LoboTHON, said she orchestrated a steady flow of volunteers with questions, concerns and action items.

“Spending time with the kids makes it all worth it,” Pryor said.

Brittany Devereaux, a sophomore communications major, said she heard about the event from her friends, who helped put it on.

Even though LoboTHON held special meaning, Devereaux said she is involved with other fundraising endeavors.

“It’s a healthy way to spend a Saturday and it’s great to see people coming together to enjoy themselves for a cause. They form communities and bonds,” Devereaux said.

Pryor said she was going to focus her attention on International Business Student Global next semester.

Marrello and Pavedo said that they were going to focus on finishing up their school year and begin work on LoboTHON in the fall.

Marrello said the idea was amazing because it combined her passion for dancing and philanthropy. Pavedo said that attaining the goal of helping children is, to her, inspiring and miraculous.

Kevin Haaf is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.