Sophomore first baseman Jack Zoellner attempts to tag a runner out at first base during the Lobos versus Air Force game Saturday afternoon. The Lobos went on to increase their lead to the final score of 5-0 in the seventh inning.

Baseball: Stevens throws shutout win over Air Force

New Mexico’s freshman starting pitcher tossed a one-hit complete game shutout in a 5-0 win over Air Force on Sunday at Lobo Field. It was the first one-hit game thrown by the Lobos since 1976 when Tom Bepko and Craig Steiner combined to give up one hit against Colorado Mines in seven innings. The last individual pitcher to throw a one-hitter was Ron Simms, who did it against New Mexico State in 1973.

“Nothing really much to say except I just attacked the zone and I had great defense,” Stevens said. “When you have hits at key times, you just have to throw strikes and pound the zone and let your defense work.”

The lone hit Stevens gave up came in the third inning when Air Force catcher Travis Wilkie knocked a single into right field, but was gunned down at second base on the relay throw.

Stevens was efficient with his pitches as he threw 98 of them, 67 of which were strikes. He also struck out four batters and didn't walk anyone.

“It was an unbelievable performance from a guy that we needed that spark,” head coach Ray Birmingham said. “To have that performance is inspiring, very inspiring. He’s one of those blue-collared kids.”

In the first inning, left fielder Lane Milligan hit a double over the center fielder’s head to score center fielder Danny Collier for a 1-0 lead.

UNM added two more runs in the sixth inning when first baseman Jack Zoellner knocked a single into left field that was misplayed by the Falcons’ center fielder for an error, allowing third baseman Carl Stajduhar to score. Shortstop Dalton Bowers brought home Zoellner on a sacrifice fly the next at-bat.

The Lobos went on to increase their lead to the final score of 5-0 in the seventh inning thanks to an RBI double from Stajduhar.

With the win, UNM (19-15, 11-7 Mountain West) completed a three-game sweep over Air Force (15-19, 8-10 MW). The Lobos sit in third place in the Mountain West standings behind Nevada and San Diego State.

“It was a huge deal because we went into a little funk,” Collier said. “Especially three big wins over a tough Air Force. Anyone in this conference can do anything.”

Collier went 2-for-4 with a run scored, while Stajduhar went 2-for-3 with an RBI and a run scored. UNM piled up nine hits on the day.

Air Force starting pitcher Trent Monaghan went six innings, giving up three runs on eight hits. Relief pitcher Ben Yokley was ineffective for the Falcons as he didn’t record an out, but walked three straight batters and gave up two earned runs.

Holley hurt

Second baseman Jared Holley came up limp trying to run out an infield single in the bottom of the fifth inning.

The next inning, Holley was replaced by utility infielder Hayden Schilling. Holley has a history of hamstring injuries at UNM.

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @ThomasRomeroS.