Pregnant students seek resources at UNM

Carolyn Romero is due July 19, and said she goes to school full-time. She will graduate in July, as well. She said that while staff and faculty have been supportive and understanding, she wishes there were more resources on campus for her and her baby.

“More support groups and more information out there about the different resources,” she said. “There could be more resources that I just don’t know about, but it’s just not very well-known.”

UNM’s Students for Life chapter offers one resource called Pregnant on Campus that focuses on women who have or will have children while attending UNM. They often provide help with rent and a finding place to stay, as well as getting food benefits such as WIC or EBT. They also work closely with other programs on campus.

“Students for Life is ... a pro-life organization dedicated to helping women, children and unborn babies,” said Robin Moses, the group’s secretary,.

Planned Parenthood also provides help on campus, according to the group’s local field organizer Lalita Russ.

“(We offer) counseling specifically around pregnancy-related options,” she said. “We offer STI screenings, of course; cancer screenings, regular paps, breast cancer screenings — a lot of what we do is preventive.”

Student Alliance for Reproductive Justice President Shaya Rogers said she thinks the school could to more for women who are pregnant.

“I do think the lactation stations could be improved as far as where they are, how many they are, and the fact that they aren’t as private as some would like,” Rogers said. “Some people can just walk in on you while you’re in there. I think that’s something the University can improve on.”

UNM’s Student Health and Counseling center also offers valuable information. Dr. Beverly Kloeppel, M.D. at SHAC, said, more than anything, the SHAC can help students connect to the right organization for their needs.

“Where we refer them or advise them to go depends upon their preferences and their insurance,” Kloeppel said.

Taylor Mallak wrote this story for the Daily Lobo as part of UNM’s New Mexico News Port project.