Kimmie Carson, left, and fellow defensive player move into a tackle position to attempt to tackle a running back Wednesday at the Dow Tiehm Complex for football spring training.

Lobos' big men may be short on experience

The Lobos do have several linebackers with game experience on the roster, but that is mostly limited to backup minutes. The only regular starters in spring football are redshirt freshman inside linebacker Kimmie Carson and sophomore outside linebacker Donnie White. Both started eight games last season.

UNM is without sophomore linebacker Dakota Cox — who led the Lobos in tackles last season — and junior Ryan Langford this spring, as both are recovering from injuries. Cox is recovering from a torn ACL, while Langford is nursing a torn right labrum. The Lobos also lost starter Tevin Newman to graduation.

“After that, it’s really thin,” head coach Bob Davie said. “The rest of it is a work in progress. We don’t have a lot of guys out there, and we have a lot of guys coming in. I think we’ll be OK.”

Linebackers junior Michael Arredondo, junior Chris Lee and redshirt sophomore Geoff Smelser will get the chance to show off their skills at the position.

“What I’m doing with those guys being out right now is giving other guys opportunities to show what they can do,” defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove said. “There’s a lot of young guys showing what they can do.”

Langford said he’ll be able to participate in fall camp come August. As for Cox, Cosgrove said he wouldn’t be shocked if he was ready for the first game of the season on Sept. 5 vs. Mississippi Valley State.

“Dakota’s ahead of schedule and he’s working his butt off probably anybody who’s had that type of injury,” Cosgrove said.

Reed at receiver

Redshirt freshman quarterback Patrick Reed practiced with the wide receivers on Wednesday and will continue to do so the rest of the spring, Davie said.

Reed came before spring and spoke with the coaches about taking some reps at wideout. However, Davie said he’s still committed to the fact that Reed will be playing more quarterback than wide receiver.

“He’s such a good athlete ... We think his upside as a quarterback is really good. It’s maybe one of the more talented guys we have this team that may be get on the field right now earlier at another position,” Davie said. “We’re committed to finish the spring with him at wide receiver. We know he can catch and we know he can run. It’s kind of exciting. We’re just trying to maximize what we have, particularly in the spring.”

Season tickets on sale

New Mexico football season tickets, which saw a 5 percent increase from last season plus the cost of an additional home game, went on sale on Wednesday.

The renewal date for season tickets is May 6. To get new season tickets, contact Joe Gehling at (505) 925-1620 or Andrew Aho (505) 925-5743.

Vice President for Athletics Paul Krebs said the increase is needed and will support all of UNM’s athletic programs.

“We have kept prices static for the past few years, understanding that it would take a bit for the program to develop under Coach Davie. This year we have expectations to compete for a bowl” Krebs said.

Davie has gone 11-26 over his first three seasons as head coach and went 4-8 last year.

Fans can also send an underprivileged or at risk-youth to a game with a Send-A-Kid ticket that costs $59.

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports @dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@ThomasRomeroS.