UNM freshman Daniel Lam competes the long jump on Saturday afternoon in the Don Kirby Tailwind Invitational.

Lobos dominate home turf

Despite long break, UNM shows off skills at Don Kirby Invite

The New Mexico men’s and women’s outdoor track and field teams won six events at the Don Kirby Invitational on Saturday.

Redshirt senior mid-distance runner Peter Callahan, redshirt senior thrower Michael Ellis, senior pole vaulter Logan Pflibsen and junior distance runner Sophie Connor all claimed gold, while both the UNM’s men’s and women’s 4x400 meter relay teams took first.

The Lobos hadn’t competed in many events since the 2015 Indoor Track & Field Championships three weeks ago.

“It was great,” New Mexico head coach Joe Franklin said in a release. “We always get concerned that we don’t open soon enough. But we went out there today, competed well, and had some really good performances. We weren’t as rusty as I thought we would be.”

In the men’s 800-meter run, Callahan finished first in 1 minute, 51.18 seconds, while freshman Mark Haywood was second in the 400 with a time of 48.10.

Sophomore Mustafa Mudada took second in the 400-meter hurdles (52.10), and junior Allan Hamilton was second in the 200-meter sprint (21.20).

For the women, Connor won the 800-meter race in 2:09.37.

The team of Mudada, junior Chris Kline, Haywood and redshirt sophomore Cheyne Dorsey won the 4x400 relay in 3:13.55. The women’s 4x400 team, composed of junior Haley Sanner, junior Zoe Howell, redshirt sophomore Faith Cobb and sophomore Kelsi Lewis took the gold in 3:49.21.

In the field, Pflibsen cleared 17 feet, 4 1/2 inches to take first in pole vault.

Ellis won the javelin throw thanks to a toss of 200-2. Freshman Beau Clafton was second (198-2), and redshirt sophomore Marcus Simon earned third place (193-5).

Senior Warrick Campbell placed second in the triple jump with a leap of 50-5 1/4.

The Daily Lobo sports desk can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLoboSports.