UNM teams meet academic standards mark

APR is designed to penalize teams that are not meeting the required academic standards set by the NCAA. None of UNM’s teams are in danger of receiving a penalty.

Four UNM athletics programs had four-year scores of a perfect 1,000: women’s tennis, men’s tennis, women’s cross country and women’s golf. Last week, all of those programs were recognized by the NCAA for being in the top 10 percent of a particular sport in APR.

“One of our primary focuses for our department is to be a leader in APR,” Vice President for Athletics Paul Krebs said in a release. “This makes five straight years of outstanding APR scores. It speaks highly of the work our student-athletes put in, and of our coaches, staff and University faculty.”

Men’s basketball had a four-year score of 985 — the highest in the Mountain West. Football earned a four-year score of 945, ninth in the conference.

Women’s basketball had the biggest drop in terms of single-year APR score: The Lobos dropped 73 points between 2013 and 2014 (from 982 to 909).

APR is calculated by a combination of eligibility and retention scores. A student-athlete can account for two points if they stay in school and if they are eligible. The total points accumulated is divided by the total points possible, and then multiplied by 1,000 to get the raw score.

The Daily Lobo sports desk can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLoboSports.