Track & Field: Lobo athletes attain All-American honors

Senior pole vaulter Logan Pflibsen set the bar high for UNM’s track and field program after tying for a sixth-place finish in his final collegiate meet. Pflibsen’s personal-best 17 feet, 18 ½ inches breached the top eight spots of the 24 athletes.

Pflibsen is only the third pole vaulter in school history to finish as an All-American.

Redshirt senior middle-distance runner Peter Callahan’s time of 3 minutes, 55.22 seconds was the fourth-best time in the 1,500-meter race. He also finished with a fourth-place bid a season ago, giving him back-to-back All-American honors.

Callahan is the third Lobo to finish in the top four of any event in back-to-back seasons. He is also just the ninth athlete to finish with All-American honors in consecutive years.

The men finished 36th in the nation, accumulating 7.5 points with the team’s two All-American finishers.

The women were also among the top schools in the country, garnering four points behind distance runners Alice Wright and Calli Thackery.

On Thursday night, Wright joined the All-American team with a 33:41.86 time in the 10,000-meter race. The redshirt freshman finished eighth in the 2015 NCAA Division 1 Outdoor Track and Field Championships in just her first year as a Lobo.

Wright is the first person in UNM history to place among the top eight runners in both cross-country and track and field.

Thackery capped off the list of All-Americans on the Lobo roster with a 15:47.15 mark in the 5000-meter race, giving her a sixth-place finish among the nation’s best. Her time is the fourth-fastest in school history.

The women’s 48th-place finish is the best in its program since 2008.

Oregon swept the track and field championships for both the men and the women in front of their home crowd. The men finished with 85 points — 29 points better than second-place finisher Florida (56). The women took first with 59 points, beating out Kentucky’s squad, which finished with 50.

The Daily Lobo sports desk can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLoboSports.