Sports briefs for July 13, 2015

Baseball

The New Mexico baseball team officially announced the hire of Buddy Gouldsmith, who will join the staff as third base coach.

The move comes a month after former UNM pitching coach Dan Spencer left the team to take the same position at Washington State. Assistant coach Ken Jacome will take over as pitching coach for the departed Spencer. Jacome was the pitching coach for UNM from 2005-08.

“We lost a class act in Dan, but we filled his position with a class act in Ken Jacome,” head coach Ray Birmingham said in a release. “Both are outstanding coaches. Ken is a very good pitching coach with the same capabilities as any pitching coach in the country, and he’s going to prove that next year.”

Gouldsmith is no stranger to the Mountain West. He spent nine seasons at UNLV — seven as head coach. Prior to his time at UNLV, Gouldsmith was an assistant coach at Nevada. In the last two years Gouldsmith was a scout for the Kansas City Royals.

“I’m really excited about the opportunity Coach Birmingham has given me at the University of New Mexico,” Gouldsmith said in a release. “I’ve always admired him and the work he has done here. I have a working knowledge of the program from competing against them, and can’t wait to get started.”

When Gouldsmith coached UNLV from 2004-2010 he lead the Rebels to a 202-217 record. The first title Gouldsmith won at UNLV was the 2004 Mountain West tournament title. He also won both the regular season and tournament MW championships in 2005.

Football

New Mexico’s annual Women’s Football Clinic will be held on July 23 at University Stadium.

The clinic will give women an opportunity to have a better understanding of the program. Participants will also meet head coach Bob Davie and members of his staff.

“The Lobo Football Women’s Clinic has become a great tradition here at UNM for me and my staff,” Davie said in a release. “We cherish the opportunity to give the women of New Mexico a glimpse of what Lobo football is all about.”

The event costs $30 to attend and the proceeds go to the Send-A-Kid Program, which gives underprivileged youths a chance to attend UNM football games. Athletic clothing is recommended.

To register call 505-925-LOBO or go online to unmtickets.com.

Women’s golf

The UNM women’s golf team had five of its players named to the 2014-15 Women’s Collegiate Golf All-American Scholars.

The five golfers that made the squad were freshmen Alexandra Moisand and Ingrid Gutierrez, and sophomores Eva Saulnier, Kalyn Thayer and Katerina Jaeger. A cumulative GPA of 3.50 is required to make the team.

UNM led the Mountain West with five honorees.

“I’m extremely proud of our team, not only to have five players earn such a high academic honor, but to lead the Mountain West,” head coach Jill Trujillo said in a statement. “We were such a young team with four sophomores and two freshmen, so I think you couple the way we finished the season with our performance in the Mountain West Championships with the maturity that our student-athletes have shown in the classroom, and it bodes well for our future. I’m excited to get the 2015-16 season started.”