UNM redshirt sophomore quarterback Lamar Jordan runs the ball on Saturday evening. UNM’s first game will be against  Mississippi Valley State on Sept. 5 at University Stadium.

UNM redshirt sophomore quarterback Lamar Jordan runs the ball on Saturday evening. UNM’s first game will be against Mississippi Valley State on Sept. 5 at University Stadium.

Football: Lobos show off air game in final Fall Camp scrimmage

The passing game is starting to look like the real deal for New Mexico.

After three years of not being a threat in the air, the Lobos showed off their new aerial attack in their third and final scrimmage of fall camp.

Both the quarterbacks and the receivers made several plays throughout the scrimmage, including a couple of nice plays by sophomore wide out Delane Hart-Johnson.

“It wasn’t long ago that we couldn’t even throw the ball. We’ve brought in some really good receivers,” head coach Bob Davie said. “We have three quarterbacks that we can get the ball out there to them. So you have to be pleased with that.”

Redshirt junior transfer quarterback Austin Apodaca showed off his arm in the first series that he played. Apodaca hit Hart-Johnson on a curl route, which turned into a 45-yard gain after Hart-Johnson broke a tackle.

Later in the scrimmage, UNM practiced its two-minute offense. Apodaca had no problem leading the offense down the field for a 25-yard touchdown when he hit Hart-Johnson in the endzone after the receiver made a double-move on the defensive back.

“I think it went pretty good. I definitely thought I had a good day throwing the ball,” Apodaca said. “I didn’t run the ball very much, but when I did I thought I made some good reads.”

UNM’s running game had some highlights as well. Redshirt senior tailback Jhurell Pressley broke a 30-yard score after shifting his way to the endzone. Sophomore transfer running back Daryl Chestnut showed off his speed when he outran the defense on a 40-yard touchdown run.

The defense didn’t have as many big plays as the offense, but they were consistent throughout the night. The defense had several sacks and recovered a fumble.

Junior linebacker Dakota Cox said the defense tackled well during the scrimmage.

“I feel like you could see that as well compared to last year, when guys were breaking free,” Cox said. “We’re stopping them and we’re getting off the field on third down.”

Injury report

Redshirt sophomore center Toye Adewon will miss significant time due to an undisclosed injury, Davie said.

Adewon was injured during Wednesday’s practice. Senior guard Eden Mahina has taken over the center position with Adewon out.

“I’m going to announce something next week. He’s (Adewon) actually going to see a couple of specialists over the next couple of weeks,” Davie said. “He’s going to be out for a significant period, so we won’t be counting on him. I’ll announce a little bit more on him.”

Davie also announced on Saturday that redshirt junior offensive lineman Johnny Vizcaino has decided to give up football for health reasons. Vizcaino, who didn’t play last year, suffered a concussion two years ago in a game and is still dealing with the side effects.

Junior running back Teriyon Gipson might miss the season-opener. Gipson is scheduled to have surgery to repair a slightly torn meniscus today. Davie said he might miss two to three weeks of action.

“Teriyon has a little cartilage, a little meniscus,” Davie said. “He has just a light tear in there. It was a non-contact injury.”

Practice update

The Lobos will have a light practice on Monday followed by three hard practices, Davie said.

UNM is scheduled to have Friday, Saturday and Sunday off.

“This week is going to be physical practices. It’s going to be a good physical week,” Davie said.

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @ThomasRomeroS.