New C&J head selected

As of the beginning of the fall 
semester, Janet Shiver is the new chair of the communications and journalism department at UNM, following the retirement of former chair Karen Foss earlier in the month.

According to the department’s website, Shiver has been a full-time faculty member at UNM since 2007. However, she has been 
involved at UNM in a variety of facets, including student, teaching assistant and part-time instructor.

In addition to teaching, Shiver also states on her web page that her interests involve researching different methods of learning for students.

“Employers say they want 
college-educated employees who know how to effectively work in teams,” she said. “I am very interested in exploring the impact of team-based learning on students’ abilities to engage in active learning.”

Shiver has also published several training manuals centered around teaching and teamwork. Her favorite classes include business and professional speaking, small group communication and public speaking, according to the web page.

She states on the web page that she is honored to be a part of the communications and journalism department.

“I have had the pleasure of working with an outstanding faculty of exceptional scholars and a department with an outstanding reputation,” she states.

The Daily Lobo was unable to speak to Shiver before publication.