​UNM society receives Gold Torch Award

The Maia chapter of the Mortar Board National College Honor Society at the UNM has received a Gold Torch Award at the 2015 Mortar Board National Conference, according to a UNM press release.

“Mortar Board is a national honor society that recognizes college seniors for outstanding achievement in scholarship, leadership, and service,” the statement said.

In 2015, 36 college chapters earned the Gold Torch Award, according to the release.

In the press release, Chapter Advisor Andrea Hart explained that earning the Gold Torch award meant that the chapter went above the regular requirements.

“Their members are selected from the most involved and accomplished students on campus and so they truly are the best of the best. These students achieve all of these things while applying to medical school, law school, and graduate programs around the nation,” said Hart in the press release.

Jane Hamblin, Mortar Board’s executive director said that she was proud that the University was providing high-impact educational programs for the campus communities, according to the statement.

More than a quarter of a million members have been initiated at 231 chartered chapters across the nation since the Society’s founding in 1918, according to the press release.