Lobos running back Teriyon Gipson runs past Tulsa defenders at University Stadium during their game Saturday night. The Lobos lost against the Golden Hurricane 21-40. 

Football: Lobos' offense sputters against Tulsa

Shaky play in UNM’s 40-21 loss to Tulsa on Saturday night left New Mexico’s offense exposed.

Things started out just right for New Mexico as the squad strutted down the field on a six-play, 75-yard drive in under three minutes. However, not many drives after that went as smoothly as the first series of the game.

Part of the problem for the Lobos was at the line of scrimmage, head coach Bob Davie said. The dive play was not working, which limited how much his offense could do after Tulsa took away a major component of New Mexico’s ground game.

“They basically lined up in one defense and covered our guards and whipped us in there. We couldn’t get our dive going,” Davie said. “There’s only so many times you can pitch the ball.”

After opening the second half with a sub-two minute drive, UNM was stuffed at the line of scrimmage and quarterback Lamar Jordan had to keep rolling out on the speed option.

“You can’t just pitch it 25 times,” Davie said. “Something is going to happen and the ball is going to hit the ground.”

With the lack of diversity in the running game, UNM ended up running into to trouble. Down 30-21 at the start of the fourth quarter, New Mexico was getting something started around midfield. At the 40 yard line, Jordan tossed a tight pitch to halfback Teriyon Gipson, and the ball wound up on the ground.

Gipson was charged with the fumble, but it was the tight defensive play of the Golden Hurricanes that led to the Lobo error. The dive was nullified; therefore, Tulsa was able to key on UNM’s pitch-option.

Wide receiver Dameon Gamblin had a career day amidst an overall forgettable game for UNM. He took four carries for 42 yards in addition to being one of the only weapons in the passing game.

“We’re a run-oriented team,” Gamblin said. “We run first; we’re trying to shove it down people’s throats. So when the dive is not working, we’re off-balance and it really ruins what we’re trying to do offensively.”

Although the Lobos definitely went to the run first, handing the ball off 47 times, Gamblin was the recipient of eight of UNM’s 11 completed passes.

However, New Mexico is not a passing team. After trying to find some way to score late in the game, the Lobos turned to the passing game, which turned out not to be the solution to the Lobos’ inability to run the ball up the middle.

Jordan’s overthrown pass landed in the arms of Tulsa cornerback Kerwin Thomas as the Lobos were again picking up steam driving to the Hurricane's 34.

“When we don’t do our jobs, we’re not successful,” Gamblin said. “When we do, we are (successful). It’s plain and simple.”

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at assistantsports@dailylobo.com or on twitter @Liam_CE.