UNM sophomore running back Daryl Chestnut stands among his teammates during a media timeout on Friday night at University Stadium. Chestnut ran a 64 yard touchdown, helping the Lobos dominate 66-0 in the team’s season opener.

UNM demolishes MVSU 66-0

New Mexico sophomore 
running back Daryl Chestnut didn’t need much time to show off his skills.

In the third quarter Chestnut took his first career handoff up the middle and used his speed to outrace the defense for a 
64-yard touchdown.

That was just one of the many big plays UNM made in a 66-0 win over Mississippi 
Valley State at University 
Stadium on Saturday.

“I see explosiveness. I think we have the potential to be an explosive football team,” head coach Bob Davie said. “We have a lot of new players that bring something to the table as we anticipated they would. I think we’re a pretty darn explosive football team, including 
our kicker.”

Davie didn’t have much to criticize about his team because the Lobos dominated in every single phase of the game. UNM (1-0) accrued 511 total yards of offense, compared to just 74 total yards of offense for MVSU. The Lobos also tied a school and Mountain West record with eight rushing touchdowns.

UNM’s defense preyed on MVSU’s offensive line as the Lobos got six sacks. It was the first time the Lobos shut out an opponent since 2008.

The only time the Delta 
Devils threatened to score was when they drove to UNM’s 20-yard line in the second quarter. MVSU (0-1) blew its best scoring opportunity after it fumbled on a handoff exchange that was recovered by UNM.

“It went about as well as it could go,” Davie said. “We had some penalties early, but other than that I think it went about as well as it could go.”

After going three-and-out on their opening possession, UNM scored on its next nine drives of the game.

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Lamar Jordan gave the Lobos a 7-0 lead when he scampered 28 yards to pay dirt on an option read. Jordan had an effective day both running and throwing the ball: He went 7 of 7 
passing for 103 yards and rushed for 62 yards on five carries with that lone touchdown.

“I feel like I could do better,” Jordan said. “I’m just a competitor and I’m hard on myself.”

Two Lobos earned their first and second career touchdowns in the game: redshirt freshman Tyrone Owens and junior college transfer sophomore Daryl Chestnut. Owens had touchdown runs of one and eight yards, while Chestnut, who had a team-high 108 rushing yards, scored from 64 and 37 yards out.

Redshirt senior running back Jhurell Pressley and senior running back David Anaya both had touchdown runs of their own. Redshirt junior offensive lineman Reno Henderson was credited with a score after he recovered a fumble by redshirt sophomore running back Romell Jordan in the endzone. UNM finished with 380 rushing 
yards overall.

The only defensive touchdown for UNM came when MVSU quarterback Quantavius Peterson threw a pass with a defensive lineman clinging to him. UNM’s graduate safety Travis Green picked the ball and went untouched for a 32-yard score.

“I think we’re pretty explosive; that’s what I take out of this game,” Davie said. “We were 
better than they were, but again, I don’t take a shutout ever for granted. I don’t take 66 points 
for granted.”

The only player that struggled for UNM was redshirt junior quarterback Austin Apodaca. He didn’t look comfortable against the Delta Devils and hit just 4 of 11 passes for 48 yards.

“I thought that Austin would throw it a little bit better,” Davie said. “I think it was good that we got Austin Apodaca in there. He hasn’t played a Division I game in a while.”

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@ThomasRomeroS.