Monday on the Street

What would you suggest UNM do to make its campus safer?

Michael Kelly, freshman, criminology

"To make the campus safer, I say after a certain time at night the cops should be out patrolling the campus, just to show that there is someone if needed."                                           

Brittney Sherman, junior, speech and hearing sciences

“I feel like, at least for the night time, they should make the campus brighter. I know people are less likely to be attacked if it's brighter, so put up more lights.”

Cory Skipper, junior, communications

"That is a tough question because there are pros and cons for everything. I agree more lighting, that would be awesome, but what I could think from the top of my head is what if we had people to just walk around that are purposely there for security, and more of an emphasis at night time? I realize that would cost more money, but can you really put a price tag on safety?"    

Freddie Perales, sophomore, education

"What I'm really worried about is that campus security is really lousy around here. I think that these guys need to get out of their cars and walk the campus. Sometimes I get out here and I'm scared myself late at night and there are dark spots all around this campus, no matter where you go there are dark spots. I think if some of these people were to see someone with a badge walking around instead of in their cars, it would scare some people off because it gets pretty fierce out here at night."

Denicia Aragon is a freelance writer for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.