Steven Romero, #97, along with the rest of the Lobos charges out of the tunnel behind a New Mexico state flag during the opening of their game against Tulsa on Saturday, Sept. 12. The Lobos will play the Aggies this Saturday at University Stadium.

Football: Rio Grande Rivalry resumes this Saturday

Winning streaks have been few and far between for New Mexico football.

The Lobos (2-2) have won a maximum of two games in a row twice since head coach Bob Davie took over the program in 2012. UNM will have a chance to add a third two-game winning streak this Saturday when it hosts in-state rival New Mexico State at University Stadium.

UNM has won its past three contests against NMSU, including last year’s 38-35 victory that came down to the wire in Las Cruces. The Lobos are a 12.5-point favorite in this incarnation of the Rio Grande Rivalry.

“Can we at some point gain momentum in this program? Can we gain some momentum? That’s what we’re all trying to do,” Davie said. “It’s no different than what they’re doing down the road. We’re all fighting and we’re all trying to do the same things. For us to string two in a row would be huge.”

Heading into UNM’s final nonconference game, the Lobos have found themselves on the offense after struggling for several games. This week UNM shouldn’t have any trouble moving forward against NMSU.

The Aggies (0-3) are among the worst defensive teams in the nation. NMSU ranks 125th out of 127 NCAA Bowl Subdivision teams in terms of total defense, giving up an average of 576.7 yards per game.

NMSU’s defense cost them wins against Georgia Southern and UTEP in its last two games. The Aggies were idle last week.

“I know they’re going to bring their ‘A’ game; they’re probably going to play better than they did last year,” UNM quarterback Lamar Jordan said. “We have to execute each and every drive and get points on the board.”

NMSU’s offense has had to prop up its lackluster defense. The Aggies have several weapons on an offense that averages 423 yards per game.

Quarterback Tyler Rogers is capable of getting the ball down the field with an average of 7.80 yards per attempt. Rogers will look for wide receivers Tyrian Taylor and Teldrick Morgan for big plays. NMSU’s running game is also strong with Larry Rose III, who averages 6.4 yards per carry.

Davie said he expects NMSU to take a breakneck pace to keep UNM’s defense unbalanced.

“New Mexico State hasn’t done as much as that this year, but I think with particularly an open date and what happened last year, it’s going to be fast-tempo,” Davie said. “We felt like, at times, against Tulsa, it hurt us. It didn’t hurt us exceedingly, but it did hurt us at times.”

If UNM is able to beat NMSU for a fourth consecutive time, it will mean that Davie’s first batch of four-year seniors will have gone undefeated against the Aggies.

“It’s just as important if I was a senior. We’re all pursuing a bowl game, so we have to get that win,” Jordan said. “It is a rivalry, so that brings a lot to the table. The fans are hyping you up all week, telling you have to get that win. I love rivalry and love what it brings.”

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @ThomasRomeroS.