The Lobos finish their dance show during the Lobo Howl at WisePies Arena Oct. 16, 2015.  The womens basketball team ran practice drills and finished off their session with a dance session on the court.
The Lobos finish their dance show during the Lobo Howl at WisePies Arena Oct. 16, 2015. The womens basketball team ran practice drills and finished off their session with a dance session on the court.

Women's basketball: Groove is in the Lobos' heart

To get the freshmen acclimated to the ambiance of WisePies Arena, aka The Pit, everyone is required to take part in the annual dance at the Lobo Howl. Barring injury, this is non-negotiable.

For incoming freshman guard Emily Lines, the dance was the most worrisome part of her introduction to New Mexico fans.

“I am not a dancer at all. They really had to convince me to be a part of it,” Lines joked. “... I didn’t think it would be, but it ended up being a lot of fun.”

The team looked much more comfortable out on the dance floor this year than in years past. Senior forward Khadijah Shumpert said it was because the team rehearsed the dance a lot more this year.

“It took a lot of practice, that’s for sure,” Shumpert said. “We practiced it for about three weeks or so after practice. It came out well, I think; I haven’t seen it yet on video, but it felt good.”

Country, hip-hop and a little bit of rock n’ roll guided the team in front of 6,676 riled-up fans. The team collectively comes together with a list of songs, which later get voted in by the team, Shumpert said.

One of the purposes for the Howl is to get the freshmen used to the home crowd, head coach Yvonne Sanchez said in one of the team’s first practices. Lines said her emotions were unlike any she had felt in her life.

“It’s a crazy feeling. The crowd is loud, people are excited, just coming into a bright arena is unlike anything else,” Lines said. “Now I’m really looking forward to the season.”

Before the Howl, the entire team is interviewed to give the fans a few facts about the individuals’ personalities. Some players were able to recite their favorite New Mexican foods, others did impressions, and, of course, most presented their personal interpretations of a howl.

Although Lines pleaded with Lobo TV to not use her howl, she said her embarrassment was subdued by the overall excitement of the night.

Sanchez did away with the 3-pointer contest because she said there was a lack of interest from the fan base. However, the team was able to showcase a five-on-five half-court scrimmage on both halves of the court.

“I was really happy we got to do the five-on-five,” Shumpert said. “We were trying to convince coach to a little full-court, but she’s not quite ready for that yet. It was really good to just get out there and go against each other in front of fans and stuff so they can see what we’re working with.”

Aside from a few miscues, the Lobos seemed to be relatively relaxed for the initial presentation of the 2015-2016 campaign.

“I definitely think the freshmen really realize what The Pit can be like when the games come,” Shumpert said. “I think they’re ready, and so are we.”

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at assistantsports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@Liam_CE.