Khadijah Shumpert looks down court while practicing at the Davalos Training Center Oct. 6. Shumpert was  named to the College Sports Madness’s All-Mountain West First Team.

Women's basketball: Shumpert earns spot on College Sports Madness's All-MW team

No one has questioned Khadijah Shumpert’s valued role as a forward on the New Mexico roster.

Now, the senior forward is getting recognition across the Mountain West after being named to the College Sports Madness’ All-Mountain West First Team.

The Lobo captain averaged 10.8 points per contest (16th MW) and a team-high 5.8 boards per game (15th MW). Shumpert had a successful season while gutting out an ankle injury for a greater part of the 2014-15 campaign. 

Shumpert’s ability to make her presence, emerging as one of the UNM leaders, came in her sophomore season where she finished among the top-15 conference players in rebounds and blocked shots. 

With a healthy ankle in mix with her final season in Cherry and Silver, the 6-footer from Minnesota has the potential to make some noise in the Mountain West this year.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at assistantsports@dailylobo.com or on twitter @Liam_CE.