Right: Quarterback Austin Apodaca prepares to send a ball downfield during the Lobos' game against Tulsa at University Stadium on Sept. 12. Left: Quarterback Lamar Jordan receives a snap during the game against Hawaii on Oct. 17. Head coach Bob Davie said he will utilize both signal-callers in the remaining four games. 

Football: Davie: Both Jordan and Apodaca will see time at QB

New Mexico will rely on both of its main quarterbacks down the stretch.

Head coach Bob Davie has decided that both Lamar Jordan and Austin Apodaca will split playing time with just four games remaining on the schedule. The Lobos’ next opponent is Utah State, who they play this Saturday at University Stadium.

After UNM fell to San Jose State 31-21 two weeks ago, Davie came to the conclusion that it may be best for the team if both signal-callers get snaps during games. Apodaca earned his first start of the season against the Spartans and played the entire game.

“I think this became apparent just standing up there in San Jose, that both those players have to play for us to win,” Davie said. “I don’t think either one of them playing every snap is quite what we need, particularly against the defenses we play coming down the stretch here.”

UNM’s offense has suffered because of the inconsistent play from both Jordan and Apodaca. The Lobos (4-4, 2-2 Mountain West) at times have looked stagnant and have been unable to sustain drives.

It makes sense for the Lobos to use both Jordan and Apodaca because they offer different strengths: Jordan is a better runner, and Apodaca is the better thrower of the two. Davie said he is fine with switching between the two quarterbacks every play or every series.

“We need to give them (the opportunity) to do things that they can really do, but fundamentally ... neither one of those guys has been as good as they need to be for an extended period,” Davie said.

The relationship between Jordan and Apodaca is one reason why there hasn’t been much fuss about playing time. When Apodaca threw the game-winning touchdown pass against Hawaii three weeks ago, Jordan was the first one off the bench to celebrate.

Jordan said he sees Apodaca as more of a “brother” than anything else.

“I’m just a team-first guy. I’m just trying to get the win and get to a bowl game as much as the next guy,” Jordan said. “I was happy for him. He did his thing and he threw some great balls.”

Apodaca agreed with Jordan about their relationship.

“We get along just great. On the field we try to make each other better,” Apodaca said. “If I see something that’s he’s doing that I can help him with, I do, and vice versa. Our relationship is fine. There’s no dislike for any quarterbacks on the team.”

UNM offensive lineman Garrett Adcock was named one of eight semifinalists for the 2015 Wuerffel Trophy, which is known as “College Football’s Premier Award for Community Service.”

Adcock is one of the premier student-athletes at UNM. He was named a CoSIDA Academic All-District selection in 2014 and is a two-time Mountain West Academic All-Conference selection. He was named a UNM Athletics winner of the Director’s Chair for graduating with a 4.00 GPA, and he is one of just nine FBS football players with a bachelor’s degree as a junior.

Throughout his time at UNM Adcock has been devoted to helping the community. He has gone on three separate mission trips to Ateiku, Ghana and he has volunteered at several places in Albuquerque, including Joy Junction.

The three finalists will be announced on Nov. 24, and the winner will be proclaimed on Dec. 8 at the National Football Foundation’s press conference in New York City.

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @ThomasRomeroS.