Lobo fans cheer as UNM plays Hawaii University at University Stadium on Oct. 17. Vice President of UNM Athletics Paul Krebs wrote a letter to Lobo fans encouraging them to attend the last two home games.

Football: Team calls on fans to fill the stands

It’s no secret that attendance at New Mexico football games has been lackluster. In recent memory, the Lobos haven’t given fans much reason to show up to University Stadium. Not until this season, at least.

With the Lobos two wins away from earning a spot in the Mountain West Championship game, UNM Vice President for Athletics Paul Krebs wrote an open letter to fans imploring them to attend the final two home games of the season.

UNM is coming off one of the biggest upsets in school history with a 31-24 win over Boise State, and the Lobos (6-4, 4-2 Mountain West) are bowl-eligible for the first time since 2007. UNM hosts Colorado State (5-5, 3-3 MW) this Saturday, and faces Air Force on Nov. 28.

“There is no more waiting. You have waited long enough,” Krebs wrote in the letter. “Be a part of this last push. It’s a big bandwagon. There’s plenty of room for you. Jump on board now.”

After the Lobos shocked Utah State with a 14-13 win two weeks ago, head coach Bob Davie thought there should’ve been a little more support for the team. Only 19,886 fans attended that game, and there weren’t nearly that many people by the end.

Overall, fan support this season hasn’t been that strong. UNM ranks seventh in the Mountain West in attendance, with an average of 23,485 fans per game. The only time the Lobos had a crowd over 30,000 was against in-state rival New Mexico State on Oct. 3.

Maximum capacity for University Stadium is 39,224.

Davie said he’s not in the business of telling fans whether or not to attend football games.

“My job is to coach; their (fans) job is to critique us, not to critique them,” Davie said. “We have a lot of smart sports fans and they know what a good home-field advantage can do. If we play better, we’ll get more people out.”

Even with UNM’s average attendance this season, the Lobos are 4-1 at home. The only loss at University Stadium this season was a 40-21 fall to Tulsa on Sept. 12.

Tight end Reece White said Krebs’ letter has a point. He said it’s time for fans to come out.

“It’s really huge. We love to see a lot of people in the stands,” White said. “There’s no reason to be on the fence anymore, because we’re winning games and we’re looking to win a Mountain West championship. We’re looking to everybody to fill up the stadium these next couple of games.”

Attendance for UNM’s home finale against Air Force (7-3, 5-1 MW) might not be as strong, as the game was moved to 8:15 p.m. on ESPNU.

“Last time I checked, that 8:15 slot on ESPNU was pretty good for us,” Davie said. “I haven’t even put much thought into it, but it doesn’t matter.”

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @ThomasRomeroS.