Football: Lobos eye spot in MW Championship game

New Mexico has higher aspirations after earning its first bowl berth in nearly a decade.

The Lobos next goal is a simple one: reach the Mountain West Championship game. That goal is well within reach for UNM after upsetting Utah State and Boise State in back-to-back weeks. UNM needs just two more home wins in order to earn a spot in the conference title match.

The newest challenge for UNM (6-4, 4-2 Mountain West) is a Colorado State squad that has won the past five games against the Lobos. CSU is a 2-point favorite over UNM this Saturday at University Stadium.

“We’re not stopping, we’re not satisfied. We’re in a great position that we can keep playing and win these last two and win a championship,” linebacker Dakota Cox said. “That’s what we’re looking towards, not just a bowl game anymore. That’s something that we can say now that we have these last two games at home.”

UNM is playing with a swagger that hasn’t been present for the team in years. Of course, beating two of the better teams in the conference helps.  

“We’re extremely confident. I think those two wins against really solid teams helped our confidence a lot,” quarterback Austin Apodaca said. “We have no reason not to be confident. We know we can compete and beat any team in this conference. At the same time we can be beat at any time. We have to know we’re not invincible.”

CSU has returned to form after a 2-4 start to the season. Heading into Saturday’s matchup, the Rams (5-5, 3-3 Mountain West) have won three of their past four games by an average of 16 points.

The Rams offense is one reason why they’re just one win away from becoming bowl eligible. CSU averages 417.3 yards per game, which is good enough for third in the Mountain West. The team runs a more traditional power running game, but the Rams aren’t afraid to spread out and throw the ball.

“They like to run the ball. They’ve got a great line and good running backs,” Cox said. “They’re kind of old school offense. Kind of a different scheme in there and it’s just going to be a good old school run game.”

If UNM wants to win its third consecutive game, it’s going to have to keep an eye on CSU’s Rashaad Higgins. The wide receiver’s numbers are down from a year before because Higgins has been dealing with minor injuries throughout the season.

Still, Higgins is still an enormous threat. He is coming off a three touchdown performance in the Rams’ 49-35 victory over UNLV last weekend.

“He may be the best receiver in college football. He’s only a junior, but most people project that if he comes out he is a first round pick,” Davie said. “We know what kind of player he is. He is also a good run after the catch player.”

The defense for the Rams has been average for most of the year. They rank sixth in the conference, allowing an average of 400.8 yards a game.

“They’re good. They fly around and have a lot of good athletes,” Apodaca said. “They’re a really good defense and we respect them a lot. We have to come out and do our best.”

Extra security

UNM athletics has upped security for Saturday’s game against Colorado State because of the recent terrorist attacks in France and safety threats in stadiums and arenas.  

Every fan will be searched using metal detectors and all bags will be examined. Attendees are encouraged to not bring backpacks, purses or bags in order to make entering the stadium quick.

The gates to University Stadium will open at 2 p.m.

“This is a direct result of what’s going on in the world right now,” Assistant Athletic Director Mike Haggerty said in a statement.  “We are wanting all our fans to not wait until the last minute to enter the stadium to avoid long lines.”

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or @ThomasRomeroS.