Redshirt sophomore running back Romell Jordan out runs Air Forces defense at University Stadium Nov. 21. The Lobos will play in the Gildan New Mexico Bowl against Univeristy of Arizona this Saturday at 12 p.m..

Football: UNM in familiar role against Arizona

It’s fair to say New Mexico has grown comfortable in the underdog role.

The Lobos past three wins against Utah State, Boise State and Air Force were all as double-digit underdogs. If UNM wants earn its first bowl victory since 2007, it will have to do it as the long shot once again.

At the Gildan New Mexico Bowl on Saturday, Arizona has been pegged as an 8-point favorite over UNM even with the game being playing at University Stadium.

Head coach Bob Davie said he never looks at the point spread of a game, but does agree that his team shouldn’t be favored.

“If I was doing this game… I would say that New Mexico is a huge underdog in this game,” Davie said.

New Mexico (7-5, 5-3 Mountain West) and Arizona come into the bowl game on different streaks. The Lobos have won three out of their past four games, while the Wildcats have lost four of their past five. However, Arizona’s last win came against then-No.10 Utah a little more than a month ago.

The Wildcats’ up-tempo spread offense hasn’t been the reason for their recent struggles. Arizona ranks 19th in the nation in scoring average with 37.2 points per game and averages 494.3 yards per contest, which is good for 15th in the country.

Only one time this season have the Wildcats (6-6, 3-6 Pac-12) scored less than 17 points this season and that came in a 49-3 loss at Washington in October.

“It starts with the offense. It starts with the tempo,” Davie said. “When they get it rolling, they get it rolling.”

UNM’s defense has faced mostly spread offenses this season and the results have been mixed. The Lobos were able to contain and force key turnovers in wins against Boise State and Utah State. In losses against Tulsa and Arizona State, the defense held up early, but ultimately fell apart in the second half.

Overall, the Lobo defense has been able to survive thanks to turnovers and critical stops on third and fourth down. UNM does give up an average of 432.2 yards per game, but allows just 27 points per contest.

“Defensively, they pressure. They’re going to force you to throw the ball into coverage and they do that quite well,” Arizona head coach Rich Rodriguez said.

Several key injuries have hurt the Wildcats defense this season. Arizona gives up an average of 463.3 yards per game and allows teams to score about 38 points.

The Wildcats will get some much-needed help against the Lobos because star linebacker Scooby Wright is expected to play after missing most of the season due to various injuries.

Wright’s return will only help an Arizona defense that will be facing the triple option offense for the first time this season. The Lobos triple option attack hasn’t been the most consistent, but they have broken off numerous big plays this season.

UNM breaks off long runs on a regular basis, having 13 runs of 40 yards or more this season. In 13 of the past 14 games, the Lobos have had at least one play of 60 yards or longer.

“It forces us to be very disciplined defensively. Obviously that’s a concern,” Rodriguez said. “Our defensive guys have worked to be disciplined and defensively sound. That’s the first concern for us.”

Even with the focus on the game, the UNM players have been enjoying their first bowl experience.

Running back David Anaya said it’s been one of his best experiences at UNM.

“We’ve never had the opportunity going to a bowl game and now that we’ve finally changed the culture around here and made it a winning team; it’s opened a lot of people’s eyes,” he said. “You can tell that the culture has changed into this winning culture. This bowl game has honestly changed everybody eyes to what a winning culture and can do for you.”

Thomas Romero-Salas is the culture editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @ThomasRomeroS.