Football: Four Lobos honored by Mountain West

Even with a winning season and a bowl bid secured, only four New Mexico players earned All-Mountain West honors, tying for the lowest total in the conference.

Wide receiver Carlos Wiggins had the highest honor by being named to Second Team All-Mountain West. Linebacker Dakota Cox, defensive lineman Nik D’Avanzo and offensive lineman Eden Mahina were all honorable mentions.

This is the second career All-Mountain West selection for Wiggins, who received the same honor in 2013. Wiggins ranked second in the conference in kickoff return average with 28.8 yards.

After coming back from a torn ACL in about nine months, Cox’s selection is impressive. He led UNM in tackles with 89 and had career-highs in tackles for loss (11) and sacks (5.0).

D’Avanzo earned his first-ever All-Mountain West honor with 48 tackles, which is the seventh most tackles by a defensive lineman in the league.

A position change from center to guard highlights Mahina’s award. The senior was forced to take over because of injuries and helped lead UNM to the ninth-best running attack in the country.

San Diego State almost swept the conference awards. The Aztecs took home Player of the Year with running back Donald Pumphrey, Defensive Player of the Year went to defensive back Demontae Kazee, Special Teams Player of the Year was given to return specialist Rashaad Penny and former UNM coach Rocky Long received the Coach of the Year award.

The only award SDSU didn’t win was the Freshman of the Year which went to Boise State quarterback Brett Rypien.

The Aztecs also led the league in conference selections with 14. Boise State came in second with 13 such honorees.

Thomas Romero-Salas is the culture editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @ThomasRomeroS.