Cross Country: Academic accolades still pouring in for national champs

Men's cross country also named to nations All-Academic team

Not only did the New Mexico women’s cross country team take home a national title, the squad was also named the NCAA Division I Women’s Scholar Team of the Year in 2015.

The U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association announced the national accolade just a short period after UNM announced the women’s cross country team broke the program record for GPAs in the fall.

“Amazing accomplishment for an amazing group of women,” head coach Joe Franklin said in a release. “To be NCAA champions and scholar team in the same year caps off a historical cross country year.”

The Lobos’ 3.65 GPA was the program high for UNM and marks the 17th consecutive semester of posting a GPA 3.3 or higher. The Scholar Team of the Year recognition was the first in New Mexico history. No other Mountain West team has earned it, either.

Courtney Frerichs, Rhona Auckland, Molly Refner, Calli Thackery, and Whitney Thornburg were the five members named to USTFCCCA All-Academic for New Mexico.

To qualify, an individual must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 and finish in the top-25 at regionals or pick up an All-American accolade at the NCAA Championships.

The men were also named to the All-Academic squad as the team’s 3.56 GPA broke a program record and was the ninth best GPA of 171 qualifying programs. Elmar Engholm was the only member to receive individual All-Academic honors. He is one of 90 across the nation.

"Very proud of the men for earning All-Academic," Franklin said in Friday’s release. "To have the ninth-best GPA in the country is very, very good."

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.