Sophomore guard Jayda Bovero drives past a Colorado State player Wednesday Feb. 24, 2016 at WisePies Arena. The Lobos played SDSU Tuesday night in San Diego and beat them 64-45

Women's Basketball: Lobos blowout Aztecs on the road

New Mexico was left with a bad taste in its mouth after San Diego State came to WisePies Arena to take down the Lobos by a 51-46 score at home on Feb. 6.

The Lobos did more than return the favor to the Aztecs on their senior night. 

UNM routed SDSU in a 64-45 contest on Tuesday evening, and the answer to the question of who led the way shouldn’t come as a surprise as forward Khadijah Shumpert and guard Cherise Beynon led the Lobo charge once again.

Shumpert and Beynon combined for 35 total points, more than half of UNM’s total. However, it was New Mexico’s defense that really opened the game up and got things going early.

After the first 10 minutes of play, the Lobos jumped out to a 17-6 lead and never looked back. UNM led the contest for 39:43 seconds, leaving the game tied for just the opening 17 seconds.

Though it comes as no shocker that Beynon and Shumpert headed the Lobos’ scoring, UNM received an extra boost in the rebound category from guard Bryce Owens.

Owens, at 5-foot-2, pulled down eight boards, the most on the night for either team. She finished off her night adding six points and three assists.

As a team, the Lobos led the Aztecs in rebounding 38-24, in addition to shooting a cool 47 percent from the field. SDSU (11-17, 6-11 MW) didn’t shoot poorly at just over 35 percent, but it was no match for the Lobos’ remarkable night from the field.

The Lobos (15-13) will be fighting for the fifth and final spot constituting a bye in the Mountain West tournament, which starts next week in Las Vegas. However, New Mexico will need some help from the team it just blew out as SDSU will face off against the Lady Rebels on Friday night.

Both UNLV (15-13) and UNM are sitting at 8-9 in conference.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.