Freshman Ricky Hernandez-Tong stares down the ball after he hits it back to his opponent at the McKinnon Family Tennis Stadium. The Lobos will play in the Mountain-Pacific Invitational this upcoming weekend in Albuquerque.

Tennis: Women seek more wins on the road while the men play host to home tourney

The New Mexico women’s tennis team looks to build on its first road victory, while the men’s team stays home to host the Mountain-Pacific Invitational.

Women’s head coach Kelcy McKenna said that getting the first victory on the road could be a pivotal moment in the team’s current road trip. The Lobos were able to salvage a split by defeating Rice after failing to close out the previous match against Houston.

McKenna said both matches provided the team with a great learning experience. She said the team, on the road for a third consecutive week, understands the expectations on the road and can focus on things they can control.

She said taking things too seriously doesn’t usually lead to playing the best tennis. McKenna said she wants the team to be relaxed and enjoy playing.

“I think we’re going to try a little more fun on the road. When you are comfortable and you’re having fun, you enjoy it,” McKenna said. “At the end of the day that’s really important, because when you enjoy something, you are going to give it more.”

New Mexico, 6-5 on the season, stay in Texas to face North Texas Friday at 3:00 p.m. and UT Arlington on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. The team will have its work cut out, as both opponents boast undefeated home records.

North Texas enters the match with a 6-7 record, but Mean Green has been perfect at home, winning most of the contests in dominating fashion. The team won a 4-3 bout with Penn last weekend, but hasn’t allowed more than one point in its other three home games.

McKenna said UT Arlington is playing really well right now. The Mavericks are 7-1, with an unblemished record at home that includes two shutouts. UT Arlington also beat Penn 4-3 in its last contest.

The men’s team hosts the Mountain-Pacific Invitational, a two day event that lasts from Friday through Saturday at the McKinnon Family Tennis Center. The team will have a quick turnaround and face Northern Arizona on Monday at 5:00 p.m.

The invitational will showcase a total of eight schools from around the region. Grand Canyon, Hawai’i, New Mexico State, Pacific, San Francisco, Santa Clara and Utah State join the Lobos to compete in the event.

San Francisco is the defending champion, which topped New Mexico 4-3 in last year’s final. However, they’ve only notched one victory so far this season.

Utah State, 11-4 on the season, has won four straight, while the Lobos are riding a season high five-match win streak and are nearing the .500 mark at 8-10.

Monday’s match against Northern Arizona is also set to be held at the McKinnon Family Tennis Center. The Lumberjacks lost a pair of matches before beating Eastern Washington, 5-2 Sunday to bring its record to 5-8.

Robert Maler is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers cross country, tennis, and track and field. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @robert_maler.