Junior Julia Warren sets up for a kill against A New Mexico State player Saturday afternoon Lucky 66 Bowl's sand volleyball courts. The Lobos beat the Aggies 5-0 and swept the weekend. 

Beach Volleyball: Lobos drop ASU, look for weekend sweep against NMSU

With one game left in UNM’s only home tournament of the season, the Lobos remain a perfect 3-0 in Albuquerque.

UNM (9-3) was able to hand ASU a 4-1 loss, the only loss coming on court one, for New Mexico.With one game left in UNM’s only home tournament of the season, the Lobos remain a perfect 3-0 in Albuquerque.

UNM (9-3) was able to hand ASU a 4-1 loss, the only loss coming on court one, for New Mexico.

Devanne Sours and Lise Rugland started things off for UNM as the duo took home the first point of the day beating Kwyn Johnson and Sydney Palmer 21-19 in a tight first set and then handling ASU’s duo on court No. 2 in a 21-13 route.

Eastyn Baleto and Marisa Doran followed suit beating Mia Rivera and Jourdan Parnell 21-19 in the first set and 21-16 in the second. The pair have demonstrated strong showings in UNM’s first 12 matches and remain with an unblemished record.

The Lobos dropped court No. 1 between Cassie House and Ashley Kelsey by 21-19 and 21-15 counts, respectively.

The ASU momentum didn’t last long as Julia Warren and Hannah Johnson handled Madison Berridge and Bethany Wedepohl 21- 19 in the first set and 21-17 in the second.

After the exhibition match forced Maddie Mayfield and Carson Heilborn to get a late start, the two finished off ASU by 21-17 counts in both games.

UNM will face off against NMSU at 4 p.m. The Aggies have only practiced three times before coming to New Mexico’s only tournament of the year.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.