Freshman outfielder D’Andra DeFlora bunts the ball against a Fresno State pitcher Saturday April 9, 2016 at the Lobo Softball Field. The Lobos swept Colorado State last weekend in Fort Collins and will play UNLV this weekend in Albuquerque.

Softball: Women return home to take on UNLV

New Mexico is back home this weekend to take on the struggling UNLV Lady Rebels, after winning both games during last Friday’s doubleheader at Colorado State.

UNLV (20-24, 4-11) has lost all four of their series’ in Mountain West play and currently sits in last place in the standings. Nonetheless, UNM is treating the visiting squad like any other.

“We respect them a lot and know we have to come out this weekend with intensity and focus,” said head coach Erica Beach on the upcoming series.

The Lady Rebels were recently swept by Fresno State, and dropped two out of three against Nevada. They are 1-5 on the road this season in conference play.

Pitcher Kwyn Cooper is fifth in the Mountain West in ERA with a 3.28 mark and a 7-9 record. In her 17 starts she’s thrown 5 complete games.

Second baseman Alyssa Cordova leads the team in batting average with a .361,while outfielder Janine Petmecky and third baseman Jamie DePippo are both tied for the team lead in home runs with five apiece. Both also have 24 RBIs for UNLV.

“They have always been tough competition for us and we will definitely need to stay focused during this series,” said Lobos catcher/designated player Chelsea Johnson.

Johnson was named Mountain West Player of the Week on Monday, her second time winning the award this season. Johnson went 7 for 8 with two home runs and 10 RBI in last week’s doubleheader.

“I feel like I’ve been working hard and it’s showing on the field. I’ve had a lot of help in the cages from the coaches and my teammates, they always have my back on and off the field,” said Johnson on winning the award.

After being swept by Fresno State, UNM bounced back impressively. The offense came alive, as they were able to bring in 21 runs during Friday’s doubleheader.

Johnson stole the show, but Jade Gray, Jasmine Casados, Mariah Rimmer and Brooke Breland all were major contributors against Colorado State. Gray and Breland each homered, and Casados and Rimmer each had RBI doubles.

Lisa Rodrigues got the win in game one against Colorado State coming in for Tess McPherson. She threw four scoreless innings allowing just two hits and getting two strikeouts. Lauren Soles got the win in game two, as she went 5.1 innings allowing just two earned runs off of three hits.

“I’m looking for another great weekend from our offense and we really need our pitchers to throw quality innings. I’m expecting competitive games this weekend,” Beach said.

The Lobos will look to extend their two-game winning streak and continue their momentum at Lobo Softball Field on Friday. First pitch is set for 5 p.m.

Wally Gallart is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @wallyagallart.