Junior Jasmin Casados prepares to throw the ball after a play at third base against UNLV Saturday afternoon at the Lobo Softball Field. The Lobos lost 7-6. 

Softball: New Mexico squanders late lead for fifth-straight home loss

Reminiscent of Friday night’s late game collapse, UNM once again blew a late lead Saturday afternoon.

This time, the Lobos blew a two-run advantage in the seventh inning, and ended up falling to UNLV 7-6.

“We need to be mentally tougher to hold the lead and to close the game out,” said head coach Erica Beach.

UNLV scored the first run of the game off a double steal. Shortstop Garie Blando stole home plate with two outs in the top of the first inning giving the Rebels an early 1-0 lead.

In the bottom half of the third inning, the Lobos started to get things going offensively. Centerfielder Mariah Rimmer hit a three-run shot deep to centerfield with two outs giving UNM a 3-1 lead.

UNLV responded quickly in the fourth inning, as Alyssa Cordova hit a double and Brooke Stover singled. An infield error was enough for Cordova to score, cutting the Lobos’ lead down 3-2.

The Lady Rebels would tack on two more runs in the fifth inning, as Blando would score off a Francesca Foti single tying the game up at 3 apiece. Then, Cordova hit an RBI single bringing in Jamie DePippo to put UNLV back in the driver’s seat 4-3.

In the bottom half of the fifth inning, Michala Erickson started UNM off with a leadoff single. Rimmer reached first off a fielder’s choice. Then, with no outs and two runners on, third baseman Jasmine Casados hit a stand up double bringing both Erickson and Rimmer home giving UNM a 5-4 advantage.

Karissa Haleman capped things off in the fifth with an RBI single bringing Casados home and giving UNM a 6-4 lead.

Pitcher Janine Petmecky got things going for UNLV in the seventh inning with a leadoff single. Foti singled and with two runners on, Brooke Stover hit an RBI single to bring in pinch runner Madison Rodgers home and cut the Lobos lead to one.

With two runners still on base, Courtney Beavers hit a double bringing in Foti and Stover giving UNLV the decisive 7-6 lead.

The Lady Rebels late rally was enough to squeak past UNM and win their first Mountain West series of the season.

“Offensively we really showed up, pitching was struggling a little bit. But we have to back them up defensively, and I just feel we didn’t do all three components together," Casados said.

Lauren Soles started the Lobos off. The sophomore went all seven innings allowing 12 hits and six earned runs.

“We have to be a lot tougher on the mound, making sure we’re not giving up those big innings. Offense performed pretty well today. Overall, it just comes down to defense and pitching and making sure we’re minimizing their scoring,” said Beach.

The Lobos will look to avoid the sweep on Sunday at noon.

Wally Gallart is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @wallyagallart.