Point Guard Cullen Neal defends a San Jose State player at Wise Pies Arena. Neal will be transferring to Ole Miss University. 

Basketball: Cullen Neal joins Ole Miss

Former New Mexico guard Cullen Neal will be trading in his Lobo uniform to be part of the Ole Miss program.

On Wednesday, the guard announced his decision that he would be leaving UNM to attend grad school and continuing playing elsewhere.

That decision has been made, and Neal will be a Rebel next season as a graduate transfer. The 6-foot-5 guard will not lose any eligibility by finishing his communication degree at UNM.

On a down year, the guard averaged 12.3 points per contest, dished out 3.7 assists, and collected 2.8 boards last season after redshirting the 2014-2015 campaign.

“They just made me feel like home,” Neal said in an ESPN article. “I just felt like it was the right place for me and I think they have a chance to be really good in the next few years.”

The Rebels, who reside in the SEC, were 20-12 last season, including a 10-8 conference mark. After making the NCAA tournament five times in a six year span from 1997 to 2002, they wouldn’t return until 2013. The program last made the tournament in 2015.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.