Redshirt junior Rodolfo Jauregui (left) and junior Hayden Sabatka play against Boise State in a doubles match on Sunday at the McKinnon Family Tennis Stadium. The men's tennis team will play San Diego this Friday while the the women’s team plays Boise State.

Tennis: Both squads hit the road against conference opponents

The New Mexico men’s and women’s tennis teams will hit the road this week, with one squad looking to extend a two-match winning streak and the other to dust themselves off after suffering a two-match losing streak.

The men’s team put itself in position to win each of its home matches last weekend, but failed to close things out when given the opportunity.

Head coach Bart Scott said there were a lot of positives in some of the matches, but the team needs to show it across the board. At this time of the season, it takes everyone playing at their best to get the job done, he said.

Scott said the play at the number six position is probably the most competitive spot on the roster. He said there is so much pressure because there are three players fighting for the opportunity to play and they are all really good. The head coach added that he was pleased to see one of the young players, Michael Tran, fight hard in the last match.

“His fight and his attitude was just brilliant out there,” Scott said. “He’s got a bright future here, if he just believes in himself.”

The Lobos had been climbing the rankings by winning nine straight matches, but have lost three of four to settle back at a .500 record and are just 1-3 in conference play. The team's next test will be a huge conference matchup against San Diego State on Thursday.

Originally scheduled for Friday, the Lobos moved up the match against the Aztecs, 7-11 on the season, in order to add another match to the schedule. Scott said the teams will now play on Thursday so the team can return to Albuquerque and host Tulsa, on Sunday.

Picking up a couple of wins could put the team back on track leading up to the conference championships.

Tulsa, winners of seven of its last eight, enters the match on a five-match winning streak. The team has a 14-9 record on the season. The non-conference match is scheduled at 12 p.m. on Sunday.

The players have put in the work all season against quality opponents and Scott said the team has no other choice but to respond. He said the biggest thing for the team now is to believe in itself in the big moments.

“You can’t hope your way to championships and titles, you have to earn it,” he said. “We just need to have belief and go for it.”

The women’s team will start a four-match road trip, beginning with a pair of conference matchups against Boise State and Utah State this weekend.

The Lobos have been unbeatable at home this season, but also started picking up its play on the road recently. The team earned splits in each of its last two road trips and head coach Kelcy McKenna said the team still has room to improve.

“I don’t think we’ve played our best,” she said. “We have a lot of room for growth for our next five matches moving forward.”

The head coach said the team needs to focus on things it can control. She said Boise State has a really different style and play really well at home, but added that “it doesn’t matter where you play, it matters how you play.”

Boise State is 8-8 on the season, but has won four of its last five heading into the matchup. New Mexico enters with a 9-6 record. The teams will square off Friday at noon.

New Mexico will be back in action against 8-9 Utah State at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday. The Lobos hope to improve on its 2-0 conference record and hit its stride before heading into the conference championships, where it will be defending its title.

Robert Maler is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers cross country, tennis, and track and field. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @robert_maler.